Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about T-Rex steak method

Options
threeputt
threeputt Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Actually, question about the rest while the egg cools down to 400. Do you cover the steaks with foil or anything after the 700* sear - or just let them sit there on a plate enjoying the fresh air? I'm in Northwest Florida, if that matters. Doesn't get very cold here often. Our local Publix has some leftover prime ribeye from a special order and my mouth is watering. :) Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• Eager Egger
    Options
    I have always just let them sit on the plate. If the bugs are out in FL that day, cover lightly, but that's all that is necessary.
    Mike
    Round Rock, TX
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    I always cover mine.
    Ross :)
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I would tent them with foil to keep the floating things off of them and help keep a little of the heat in.
    The Naked Whiz
  • threeputt
    Options
    THANK YOU for the quick replies! Foil it is...

Jeff
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    I do not cover. If I'm worried about flies or dogs I put the plate in the microwave.

I wish the Publixes up in GA would start carrying some prime beef!

Enjoy that steak,

TRex
  • threeputt
    Options
    Yeah I was in our Publix last night talking with the butcher. He said they don't normally carry prime, but can get it on special order. Problem is, the minimum they can get is a case. He told me to check with him often and they sometimes have left over from a large special order by a caterer or whatever. I'm heading back over in a few to get a couple of these ribeyes. $17/lb though... I hope I don't screw them up!

Jeff
  • Although I have cooked many steaks on my egg, I used the Trex method for the first time on Christmas Eve and pretty much did everything wrong -

- only had the egg at 600 when I began the sear
    - flipped the steaks too soon during sear
    - left on too long to finish the sear
    - only rested (uncovered by the way) for about 15 minutes
    - finished the cook at about 350
    - kept opening the grill to see how things were coming

With all that, was still the best steaks to have ever come off my egg!
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    Mine just wait patiently in the oven (unheated) while the temps go down.

One thing I do differently now is to just use kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper for the sear, and some salt-free cajun stuff after the sear. Before, the seasoning was just turning into little black specs on the steak.

Hope that helped.
  • threeputt
    Options
    Good idea Mike, thanks.