Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pit-Minder/Guru users

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was cooking a butt in the large on the grid extender. Decided to use my pit-minder, clipped the alligator clip to the grid extender next to the butt and set it to 225. I had my maverick ET-7 probe in the butt, I was only using one of the 2 probes to monitor the butt from inside the house.

Everything was going fine for about 4 hours (I thought) then I noticed the butt was not coming up in temp all that fast. I would go out and turn the pit-minder up and come back in to get warm. I absolutely hate being cold. Anything under 80 and I'm complaining big time. Ha, I have my thermostat set at 70 and I'm sitting here with a sweat jacket on and a beanie covering my poor bald solar dome. :huh: (Leroy, you paying attention here???)

Anyway, I didn't get the alligator clip on the grid correctly and it popped off and dropped down below the plate setter next to the lump. So the egg while being nice and warm from the beginning of the cook was not getting any hotter no matter how high I turned the pit-minder up. The probe was telling it the pit was plenty hot..... but not next to the butt.

I ended up tossing the butt out as it was not worth taking a chance on the 4 hour rule. This pulled pork was to be a gift so I couldn't take the chance.

Just a heads up for all you Pit-Minder users. This was strictly operator error, still, I had to toss a $10 piece of meat out and time lost. (In the damn cold) :(

Egger's, watch your probes, :)

Bordello

Comments