Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with beef tenderloin

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Eggers, I need some suggestions on how to cook a beef tenderloin. Do I use a low and slow method, a sear and dwell or something in between? I've done individual filets but don't have any experience cooking a tenderloin. Thanks!

Comments

• Tarheel Tom,
    See the link below for a great tenderlion.
    If you don't want it stuffed, just leave the stulling out.
    B D

[ul][li]Beef Tenderlion[/ul]
  • Tarheel Tom,
    Give this a try...Lobster Stuffed Beef Tenderloin.
    one Four Lb. Tenderloin
    two Four once lobster tails
    1 tbs butter
    1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
    6 slices partially cooked bacon[p]Boil lobster tails in salted water approximately 4 minutes, remove from shell, cut lenghtwise, set aside. Cut tenderloin lengthwise to within 1/2 inch of bottom, place lobster end to end inside tenderloin, combine melted butter & lemon juice, drizzle on lobster. Close tenderloin and tie with butchers twine, rub with olive oil, season with kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper.
    Pre-heat egg to 350 degrees, cook direct on extended grill approximately 45 minutes for medium rare, last 10 minutes drape tenderloin with bacon. Use polder for internal temp of 115 degrees, remove and let rest for 10 minutes (will rise to 120-125 degrees).
    While resting prepare sauce of choice, I prefer green onion, butter, garlic, and white wine sauce.
    Remove twine, slice, spoon on sauce and serve.
    The contrast, slightly charred outside, pink inside with white middle from lobster is something to behold.
    This was our Christmas dinner...Enjoy...WCS

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    West Coast Smokey,
    This sounds great, did you use frozen tails or??????
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• New Bob,
    Yes...Frozen tails from Costco...WCS

• West Coast Smokey, My gosh that sounds good. Will try next time. [p]CWM
  • Tarheel Tom, WCS had a great cook. If wanting to something a little more simpler. I roll my tenderloin in extra virgin olive oil, coat with char crust or a rub. Sear at 750 or above, add more lump to lower the temp and cook indirect until reaching the desired internal temp, ie. medium rare ect.[p]CWM
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    West Coast Smokey,
    What a great idea for dinner!
    I bet it would make a great subject for a photo shoot. Now if I can just talk my wife into picking up a couple of lobsters we'll be on a roll. I have been thinking about doing a lobster anyway but combined with beef tenderloin...ummm...

• Gid Daddy,
    Ops!
    That typo was before I even poped the top on one of those great charged Guiness cans.
    B D

• West Coast Smokey, your beef tenderloin recipe looks like a must-do for me. I agree with your removal temp of 115 deg, and I recommend the beef be aged 21 days, if you can find aged beef. There's a big difference in texture and flavor between aged and non-aged beef (also about 50% higher price). Since I found the local Certified Angus Beef (CAB) distributor, I've been buying aged CAB for special-occasion meals.