Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size to buy?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am very interested in purchasing a green egg but do not know which size to get. I do not plan to do extensive entertaining but when my 19 year son and his two buddies eat ribs, I want to be able to cook at least 8 to 10 pounds so that the other memgers of the family can eat. I would appreciate any comments regarding opinions relating to size. Normally, we are a four member family for eating purposes. Thank you very much. Bob

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Hey Robert!
    If you're a 4 person family and plan on feeding a 19 yr old college boy, the only size to get is a large. Takes a little more coal for a small cook but I feel it gives you the most options.
    Unless you do like so many forum regulars and have multiple eggs. I'm hoping to join that club later this year. For now, just have a large and wouldn't trade it for anything! Best purchase I've made in a long time!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Robert E. Keller,
    We've all been where you are now...at the begining of a new slice of life! If cost is no issue go for the large. The BGE is so versitle and the large can give you the widest range of possibilities. After that your wife may see what her "Eggin Man" has meant to her kitchen duties and take her "cream and egg money" and present you with a small BGE for just the two of you. I love my combo of those two sizes. Want more info? email me.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP, Unfortunately, cost is a factor. I can get a medium egg for $299.00 but do not how good a deal that is. The sale also includes approximately $100.00 worth of accessories. Any advice would be appreciated. Bob

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Robert E. Keller,[p]We are a family of 4 as well, and I can't imagine anything smaller than the Large. Four racks of ribs are easily done on the large, which would be the bare minimum with teenagers in the house, but would be more challenging on the medium. A large brisket fits nicely on the large as well.[p]Certainly, there's a lot of great cooking on the medium (just check out gfw's site), but the large has more accessories, and the only real downside is a bit higher cost initially and high lump usage when you don't need it.[p]Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it![p]--sdb
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Robert E. Keller,
    The medium sounds like a good deal. I say go for it. You can (and probably will) add a large later on when you really get into ceramic cooking. The large gives you much greater flexibility but the medium will do quite nicely. Keep in mind that this is a lifetime purchase/investment. Most of us who have them hope for a second and even a third Egg now that we know the joy of cooking on one. Good luck.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Robert E. Keller,
    That's a great price and especially with "$100 of eggcessires!" Is it new? Even if not go for it before someone else does!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hello Robert,
    If you have been cooking on a standard HomeDepot varitey webber grill in the past compare the grill size (~17")to that of the BGE med and large (~18 I think but you better check). If you routinely fill the webber grill top you better go for the large. I have a 2 person family adn the large is the right one for us - pizzas, smoked almonds, butts, etc.[p]Have fun,
    Grillgirl

• Trout Bum
    Options
    Robert E. Keller,
    Big is better and more accessories are offered for it.
    Buy the Large.
    B D

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Robert E. Keller,
    Buy the large with the new spring loaded hinge...You won't be sorry.
    Larry

• Robert E. Keller,I have 3 sons, 14,18, and 20, wife , myself and a dog. Cost was an issue with me also so I got a medium with accessories like you are talking about. the medium has been fine for me. there are times when i wish i had a large , but the medium has always been able to cook enough to feed my hogs, er I mean my boys. However I do plan on upgrading to a large when the money is there. my .02.

• Robert E. Keller,
    LARGE,...LARGE,...LARGE.[p]GaryJ