Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburgers

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 361
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't believe I've forgotten how to tRex hamburgers...[p]Are they finished when I sear 90 seconds on each side, or must I drop the temp and finish like a steak?[p]These are fairly thick (maybe and inch)...some with blue cheese all mixed up inside. Got 'em from Fresh Market...probably chuck or serloin.[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Regards,[p]Forgetful

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]An inch thick - they aren't done unless you like them rare.[p]Thermapen? I would check them internal and make sure they are done to your liking. I cook burgers that thick to about 135.
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    Hey...just a suggestion but if you want to try something a little different and what has become a family favorite, try Cuban burgers from Bobby Flay. They are as my kids would say, "OFF THE HOOK"!!

[ul][li]http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_26333,00.html[/ul]

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Dawgtired,[p]I used to live in Miami. Flay's recipe for the cuban burger is reminiscent of the great cuban sandwiches I used to get for lunch across the street from my office. I'll have to try that one next time. Tonight I sprinkled the burgers with John Henry's Lemon Pepper, and seared for 90 and 90 at about 600°. [p]DSCN3319.jpg[p]Then I just used my intuitiveness instead of science, and cooked 'em until it felt good. They were a little loose, so I didn't want to stick them with my thermopen.[p]DSCN3320.jpg[p]Turned out great.[p] DSCN3323.jpg[p]Yesterday we did AZRP's spice shrimp, which made me a hero with the wife, and tonight's burgers sealed the deal![p]Thanks to you and Fidel for the help.[p]

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That Cuban place didn't happen to be The Versailles did it? I ate lunch there twice while in Miami and will go back every time I am there. I believe it was on Calle Ocho.

You can tell a great Cuban joint when there is a line forming for lunch at 11:00 am.
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    Looked up the recipe for the shrimp but it didn't say how long to marinade them for. I'm guessing 30 minutes or so but since your comments sounded like they were great, I'm wondering how you did it.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    It had to be 45 years ago. It was up around 10th avenue I think. I worked at Otis Elevator Company back then. Not even sure if it's even there anymore. You're right...if I didnt' get there by 11:00 am, I'd have a long wait. It was the first place in America that I ever saw a sign that said "English Spoken Here".
    :angry:
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Dawgtired,[p]It's real easy. Don't worry about marinating very long. Just push 'em around in the sauce 'til they get wet all over, then put them on direct. Use a small grid, because they can slip down into the fire real easily with the standard egg grates. Shrimp take about 3 minutes on a side. Big scallops (if you want to include them) take maybe 5 minutes on a side.[p]DSCN3077.jpg[p]You'll love it. It's my favorite non-pork thing I like to cook on my egg so far.[p]DSCN3081.jpg
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    At some point you might want to try this. It's one of the best/easiest ways I've found to cook shrimp. I use the stove since I don't want to blacken up my pots with smoke. Anyway, put some evoo in the pan, along with a dab of butter, a couple cloves of crushed garlic and a couple of pinches of crushed red pepper flakes. That will depend on how much heat you like. Let the oil infuse for 10 to 15 minutes on med/low heat so the garlic doesn't burn. After that, crank up the heat and throw the shrimp in and toss until pink and sprinkle with some coriander pwd and salt if needed. This stuff is great!!!!

Ronald Reagan