Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my ribs

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I coated some slab pork ribs with JJ's rub,mustard and a light coat of apple juice and lemon juice. They have been in Mr. L. for about an hour and I am monitoring dome and grill temps. My question, should I foil later or not???? I did flip them after 1 hour and a light coat of apple juice. They are on indirect over a drip pan on a setter.
Thanks and a great day to all,
New Bob

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    New Bob,
    Here is one no.
    But if'n you like them that way, go for it. I do it with big fat spares on occasion, but on St. Louis spares and B-backs, I skip the foil unless I am in a hurry.[p]Totally an opinion!
    Have fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    New Bob,
    If you wrap them in foil you will get the steamed effect which will make them fall of the bone tender but can also make them a bit mushy. I prefer a little bite to my ribs. This allows me to leave most of the fat behind as pork fat and my digestive system sometimes are at odds.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    New Bob, Thursday I did some nice baby backs ay about 250 for 4 hours - no foil - and they turned out about perfect. They were very lean even for baby backs. If the ribs have lot of fat then use the foil - even 30-45 minutes will render off a lot of the fat. Done right, the foil doesn't necessarily change either the taste of the texture, just gets rid of excess fat.[p]Just my thoughts. :~}

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    If you cook them direct after the foil, the meat firms back but still pulls clean (if the meat temp got up above 185 or so).[p]Tim

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I did a rack yesterday as well. Nothing fancy because I decided to do frozen solid ribs at 3pm. I ate them at 7:30pm too. I set the frozen mass in hot water to thaw while fixing the fire. I also used a setter and drip pan (pizza pan) and grid on the inverted setter. I used 275 deg dome as a goal. After 3 hrs I placed a probe in the meat and read 177 deg. After 20-30 min at 300 deg dome I had 190 meat and it was 3.4-3.5 hrs. The meat pulled clean from the bone. No rubs, no mustard but I added sauce for the last 40-45 min.[p]Tim