Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cold smoke

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
can you do a "cold smoke" on a bge? if so, how? thanks.....

Comments

• nodock,[p]What is it you want to smoke?
  • nodock,[p]No response yet and I am leaving to go home, so:[p]For cheese, or anything else that will only take a short time, clean out your Egg and put four hardwood briquettes (yes, I said the bad word) that are burning and ashed over, on the fire grate. Place your smoking wood on top of the briquettes, install the plate setter legs up and the cooking grate.[p]For something you need to go longer than the briquettes will allow, you can either do multiple sets as described above, or you can connect two Eggs together with a clothes dryer exhaust hose. Build a slow fire in one Egg, and place the food in the other.

• nodock,[p]I remember seeing something about cold smoking. I think it was on The Naked Whizes site. I remember seeing the EGG used as a smoke generator and a flexible metal dryer vent connected to the vent on the EGG. Dryer vent went to a cardboard box with racks in it.[p]I hope this helps or inspires some ingeniuty. [p]Mike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    nodock,
    i believe old dave slides brickets thru the lower vent, maybe in a can, but i dont remember. gets them burning outside the egg and slides them in with tongs, maybe also a pan with ice under the cheese etc.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nodock,[p]I know that not everyone can have more than one egg, but I would think that this would be the perfect place to have a Mini - BGE! (Is that an oxymoron there?!) So you take the mini and get a fire in it and take dryer venting and hook it up to the first BGE! PERFECT!!![p]Honey!!! I need to go pick up another something at the local BGE Store!!! [p]Let's All RAISE THE BAR - B - Q!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Wood Chuck,
    you can also reverse it.since it's cold smoke, you could generate the smoke in the BGE and connect it to a cardboard box as the smoke box.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nodock, I have used the dryer setup. The pictures and setup where shown by Chef Wil about this time last year. I used my small as the heat and ran it to my large. Had temps of around 80 degrees for my salmon. Good Luck

• nodock,[p]Scott Borders (Scotty's Inferno) provided a great tutorial about cold smoking jerky.
    It's on the Whiz's site. (link below)
    He uses the coffee can chimney method, which is much easier than the dryer vent lashup.[p]Good Luck!
    HolySmokes

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coldsmoking/coldsmokejerky.htm[/ul]
  • stike,[p]I was just lookin' for an excuse to get a mini! Or at least go up to the BGE Store![p]Let's all RAISE THE BAR - B - Q!
  • nodock,[p]If you have cold winters (17°) outside right now for me, all this is pretty simple.[p]I don't go through all the fuss. Two layers of heavy duty foil over my cold lump. [p]The following was done at 37° ambient temp.[p]For cheese
    6 briquettes and some a flavor wood chips.[p]I light 4 bricquettes when white ash forms I put two more bricquettes next to the light ones. I cover all in apple wood chips.[p]Put a raised grid (no ice barrier) and load the cheese. Bottom vent wide, top vent bearly open.[p]My large egg dome was 70°. The cheese came out strong at first taste. After some forum suggestions, I let the cheese rest in the fridge (zip lock bagged). The next day and following the cheese was excellent.[p]Pepper jack, mild chedder, extra sharp and swiss all turned out very good. Different amound of absorbtion in each blend.[p]White chedder didn't take on as I had expected and two other blends didn't turn out all that great.[p]For longer cold smoke I would think a coffee can or chimney lighter would work well.[p]I won't be able to do the same thing in the summer. In the summer my dome is at 90° at rest.[p]If you are in a warm area well follow the other suggestions.[p]In the summer I am going to follow Alton Browns idea. 2 cardboard boxes (or one could pipe the smoke into the lower vent of an egg). [p]Get an electric cooking plate and place in one box. Dryer vent the exaust into the other box (or egg). Use a pie pan and wood chips on the electric plate for smoke generation.[p]Cold smoking made easy...[p]It is a good day for an idea... I think I will head up to Home Depot and pick up some tin for cold air return in houses. From a metal box and get the electric cooking plate.[p]Smoked Salmon & smoked cheese sounds pretty good for New Years Day football.[p]BTW smoked cheesballs are GREAT!!!

• Setup_III.jpg
    <p />Wood Chuck,[p]Like this? I cold smoked some salmon this week and this was my setup. You can see the largfe egg belch smoke out the bottom. I ended up getting the 4" dryer vent hose when the 3" would have better suited my setup.[p]Ottawa_egger