Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain

Options
Seethewave
Seethewave Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know there has had to be posts about using the egg in the rain, but I haven't been able to find any. After looking at the weather, I see it is going to RAIN today. I understand I can still use the BGE in the rain, but my question is if the top damper is open, won't the rain be counter-productive of the flame? Or is there a special trick known only to the experienced?
Thanks

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Seethewave,
    No secret required!!![p]Lots of folks just go to the Depot...and get a 6" rain cap, (like you'd put on an upright dryer or plumbing vent stack)...and it woirks like a charm.[p]The price is right too!![p]Good luck![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Seethewave,[p]Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a 6 inch rain cap. They are in the heating department. Works great

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Seethewave,
    ive used foil as a tent over the top, hardware stores carry a vent cap that fits nicely and ive used them, but if you regulate the temp with just the little daisy openings open there is not enough water that enters unless you are really getting deluged with rain. i havent used anything in years, on low and slows its more like a lite basting going on

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Seethewave,
    my egg is fine in the rain and snow. but every time i cook on it in bad weather my feet get wet or cold or both. my kids tell me this is because i don't put on shoes. but they are young adults and think they know everything.
    bill

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    bill,[p]I like that Bill!![p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Chubby,
    we need a little humor around here. sad part is it's true.i do run out to check on the egg in my bare feet. i don't have the sense god gave a duck!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Chubby,[p]Hey there! Where have you been hiding friend? We miss you hare and the Grape Boy likes being the king of the forum when you aren't here. Please come back he makes us raise our hands when we want to post.