Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question re: Indirect cooks

Georgia Dawg
Georgia Dawg Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have had my egg for 6-7 months and done numerous cooks, direct and indirect, but am running in to a problem with indirects. Once I stabilize temps for about 30-45 mins., then put on the placesetter and meat the temps drop dramatically on the dome thermo (about 100 degrees). I have tried to wait it out understanding the cold placesetter, cold meat, etc. but even after 2 hrs the temp is still extremely low and then requires me to begin adjusting vents. I am lighting the lump in several places, have tried putting the placesetter in early to "preheat" it, have tried the hairdryer, stirred the coals, etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Georgia Dawg, check out the Naked Whiz's web site on temperature control. I'm no expert but since you are only having this problem when you use the place setter maybe where you place it. Try this, when you open the lid, place one leg at 12 o'clock, the others s/b at 9 and 3 and see what happens. Oh make sure that the firebox is aligned correctly also. Good Luck, some of the experts will help you shortly.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Georgia Dawg,
    Your plate setter should go in right after you light it then if your temp is stable for 30-40 minutes, put your food in and walk away, don't worry about what it says on the thermometer for at least an hour. -RP

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Georgia Dawg,
    platesetter goes in at the start. only thing new to the heat should be the meat

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Georgia Dawg,[p]When you put the plate setter and things on you are disrupting the air flow. You will need adjust vents to keep the air moving. Your doing it right. But you don't have to wait so long before adj. the vents. GOOD LUCK and HAPPY EGGING[p]Doug
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Georgia Dawg,
    follow what was said below and make sure your egg is cleaned out well. there is a race way around the firebox that lets air get to the little holes in the firebox after aobut a year i had temp trouble turns out there was so much ash that had fallen thru the little holes i was only getting air thru the grate at the botton. now i put the shop vac small hose in the space between the fire box and the egg regularly.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Georgia Dawg,
    for short cooks like a turkey or chickens ill adjust vents and get the fire going, but for overnight low and slows i leave things alone and let the egg come slowly back up to temp, if you dont do that you will overshoot your target temp and find yourself chasing the temps all night trying to get it back on track. how far are you off by the way, i know some folks want the temps to be right on, but for a long overnighter ill set my low alarm at about 190 and my high alarm about 280 and leave it at that and hope the dome therm stays around 250, but its not all that important.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Steeler Fan,[p]I put one leg directly opposite the vent door, in order to help with the 'hotspot'.[p]hth[p]Big T

• It drops easily 100 degrees and never comes back up. I have left it alone for several hours waiting to see, but nothing. I'll give it a good cleaning and follow all the advice below. Thanks to all. GDawg
  • Mario
    Mario Posts: 7
    Georgia Dawg,
    After the fire is sustainable 10-15 minutes after lighting throw on the platesetter while leaving vents wide open, then lessen the vent gaps to stop the temperature increase. I've cooked from 200F to 450F indirectly.
    I hope this helps.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Georgia Dawg,
    Remember that what changes the temperature is the air flow, so adding the plate setter, after you are stable will definitely make a change. [p]I have seen the same thing when I really load up the grill and reduce the air flow that way. [p]If you let the Egg stabilize, with the plate setter in place, and if the drip pan does not hang over the edge of the plate setter too much, you should not see that much of a drop.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Georgia Dawg,
    you do need that platesetter in there during the stabilizing stage, the only time ive had a hundred degree drop like that is when putting 30 pounds plus meat in there

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • okee dokee...I'll give it a try. THanks. GDawg
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    As others have suggested a good cleaning might help. Make sure your air holes are not plugged with small pieces of lump. Your problem has to be air flow...
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    My very thought. I like to have everything come up to temperature at the same time. Plus, if he's got weather like I do right now, his plate setter is going to be ice-cold when he drops it into a 300* Egg...it just seems like a recipe for cracking it to me.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    like i said. spam
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante