Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Late night butt help needed

Options
Smoking Jacket
Smoking Jacket Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
here's my situation...I have a 8.5lb and a 6.5 lb on the egg now for a family Christmas gathering tomorrow night. I put them on at about 5:30 this afternoon. Unfortunately (for butt cooking purposes only) I had another family get together tonight and didn't want to start the process late tonight. I have just arrived home and my dome temp is a little high at about 275, the small butt has as temp of about 145. [p]Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow and am asking my wife to keep an eye on the egg tomorrow. Being the eggssperts that y'all are when should these butts be done...what do I need to do if they reach 195 hours before dinner at 6:00 on Friday night?[p]

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,
    I'm guessing the smaller one will be done earlier than the big guy but either way, when they reach 195, double wrap them in HD foil and park them in a cooler with towels around them. They should be good for 4-5 hours, enjoy! -RP

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,
    Wrap them in two layers of Aluminum foil. Grab some old towels and put one in the bottom of an ice chest. Put in butts and add more towels on top. If you have a remote thermometer leave it the butt. Monitor temps and pull when needed. If it is real cold where you are then you can pre heat the cooler by sloshing some hot water in it before towels.

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,
    I would also recommend lowering your temps to stretch out the cook a little longer. If you can get your egg to 225 dome and maintain it, go for it. It will prolong the cook, maybe to a time where it would be more convenient to pull.[p]Mike

• Lost in utah
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,[p]You might already know this, but unless you have a device that maintains the temp, hooked up to the Egg, you will have to keep an eye on the Egg Temp a few times during the night.[p]I would say at a dome temp of 275 you are looking at 1.5 hours per pound.[p]
    Bon Appétit and keep it hot and fast out there!!![p]

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,
    Got the temp down yet? 225°? You have left ample time to complete the cook...early. And, your temp of 275° is making things happen faster than you want... plus you are leaving your wife to watch dinner during the critical portion of the cook. Are we looking for a disaster here?[p]I couldn't leave my wife with the project... it's not her thing, and the whole concept doesn't interest her in the least. But hey, she looks better than I do, and she makes more money... [p]Your internal temp is fine, as you aren't up to the plateau temps yet. Are you monitoring the bigger or the smaller butt? They will probably be done at different times... not far apart, but the smaller one should finish (an hour or so) ahead of the larger one. 195° to 200° internal would be my choice.[p]If they are done early, no problem. Wrap in foil (I use a cake pan and foil it) Prewarm a cooler with hot water, dump the water and pack the foiled butts in towels in the warm cooler. Lots of towels. The butts will easily hold their temp for 2 to 4 hours. I prefer pulling the pork while it's still hot, but it will pull fine if it cools down.[p]Good luck.[p]Mike in MN

• Smoking Jacket
    Options
    Thanks to all...[p]Before posting the original post...I worked on lowering the temp, it is now down below 250. I am heading to bed for a couple of hours.[p]Thanks again