Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket update (dome/grill temp results)

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, 5 hours into the cook. I just opened and verified with an instant read thermometer that the meat probe is accurately reading the correct temp. It's about 155 internal throughout, point and flat. I moved the potato to behind the brisket on the grid, except this time, it's over the drip pan, and it now reads the same as the top probe. So, therefore, I'm regarding the top probe as the cooking temp.[p]Latest readings:[p]Dome - 280
Bottom - 176
Top - 225
Potato - 220
Internal - 154[p]When the internal reaches 160, it'll be decision time. Either leave it until it reaches a temp of 185 . . . or . . . . wrap it foil with a couple of bottles of Stubb's Moppin Sauce poured in, and let go to 185 that way. [p]This is fun. A little anal retentive maybe, but it's fun.;)

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    DavidR,
    Interesting, did you notice what the potato temp. was before moving it????
    It was tracking the dome temp. pretty well and I was wondering if it still was.
    Thanks, we will be waiting to see what you do or don't do with the foil.
    New Bob

• DavidR
    Options
    New Bob,[p]When I lifted the lid, I noticed that the probe tip was very close (about a half inch) to the side of the dome, and right above the opening of the setter. The potato and the dome probe were right in line with each other, and in the path of the updraft coming directly from the coals. They were practically reading the same temps. [p]Now, I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest here, but from what I have observed, the use of a plate setter will deflect the direct heat away from the meat on the grid, but it appears that it does NOT deflect the direct heat from the dome probe, which would explain the big variation in temperature.[p]

• Bordello
    Options
    DavidR,
    At least we know that the dome is is not that far off on the general air temp.
    Now, yesterday when I ran the dry temp. my probe was in the center of the grill (over a setter) and also tracked the dome pretty close, interesting why a hunk of meat (except for being a heat sink) would cause such a difference???? Could it be that it's just the meat sucking in the heat causing the lower reading?????
    Things to think about,
    Sounds like you're having a good time.
    New Bob

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    DavidR,[p]I think others that have actually investigated this will agree with your last paragraph. It is good to see you take the time to really see what is going on.[p]Ashley
  • DavidR
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I decided to foil the brisket. It's back on the egg now, plate setter is still there. Drip pan taken out. The potato is sitting on the grid above one of the legs of the setter.[p]Dome - 280
    Potato - 225
    internal - 160

• Bordello
    Options
    DavidR,
    Let us know how the brisket turns out, very interest temps.
    New Bob

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    DavidR,
    Your temp info is very helpful! Nice work in gathering and presenting the info. Now how was that chunk o chest???[p]Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ