Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham and Bean Soup

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Many thanks to Ron (RRP) for his pointers yesterday.[p]I started with two ham bones from thanksgiving that I had left a good amount of meat on. I boiled them last night for about 5 hours to make a good ham stock. I pulled and shredded all the loose meat, set it aside, and let the stock cool in the fridge overnight. Today I took the solid fat off. The rest of the liquid was put in a 7qt dutch oven at 375 in the large egg. What you see is plate setter, legs up, with a medium grid on it for a spacer, then the DO on the medium grid.[p]HamStock.jpg[p]
I added the bones back to the stock and brought it to a slow simmer[p]BonesSimmering.jpg[p]
I added 3 pounds of pinto beans. The beans had been rinsed and soaked in cold water for about 7 hours.[p]BeansAdded.jpg[p]
I pulled the ham bones and stripped any remaining meat to the meat I had pulled from them last night. I would guess almost 2 pounds of loose ham meat.[p]HamMeat.jpg[p]
I made a mirapoix by cooking 2 cups of onion with 1 cup celery and 1 cup carrots, all minced, in 1/2 stick of butter and 2 tbsp olive oil.[p]mirapoix.jpg[p]
After the beans had been simmering about 3 hours, I added the ham meat and mirapoix and continued to simmer for another 90 minutes. I also seasoned with a healthy dose of fresh black pepper, 1.5 tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp kosher salt, 2 tsp chili powder.[p]FinalSimmer.jpg[p]
I finally pulled it when the cornbread was done. Total cook time was 4.5 hours after the ham stock had been made. [p]FinalProduct.jpg[p]
This was really good. Meaty, smoky, and very filling. I will definitely do this one again.[p]EatinTime.jpg[p][p]

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    Fidel,[p]Looks great, Fidel. Does the Egg give you a much different flavor over a cooktop?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Fidel,
    Looks good. One thing I miss about Twiggy, she cooked up a great pot of beans. I food savered my bone from the ham and froze. So many leftovers. Have to make hash this weekend.
    Was the ham smoked to begin with? The hock I got wasn't.
    Mike

• Fidel
    Options
    Jeffersonian,[p]In my opinion it did. The smoked hams added a big dimension, but I also kept throwing some hickory chips in the fire to get some smoke into the soup as well.[p]But I'm an addict - I think everything is better off the egg. I can tell you that I could identify egged vs. cooktop ham and beans in a blind taste test.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]The hams were indeed egged about 5 weeks ago for a work luncheon.[p]These were the culprits that left their bones in my freezer since mid-November:[p]Ham2Small.jpg
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Fidel,
    man that looks good i will have to try soon[p][p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Options
    BENTE,[p]I have 2 gallons. You are an hour away from me.[p]Come get ya some!
  • BENTE
    Options
    Fidel,
    don't tempt me!!!!
    i had domino's tonight (man i think i'm gonna be sick)LOL[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Fidel
    Options
    DoneHamPineapple.jpg
    <p />BENTE,[p]You know, the BGE can be used to cook pizza....[p]
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Fidel,[p]Are you sure that's legal?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Fidel,
    Looks delicious! Thanks for the compliment, but that's obviously your creation!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Fidel,[p]Thanks for sharing--very informative post. Question: Did you cook the ham on the BGE? Or did you buy it cooked already?[p]-Mike[p]
  • BENTE
    Options
    Fidel,
    i think i remember reading that somewhere!![p]DSCN0266.jpg[p]
    101_0023-1.jpg[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Rod,

You just can't beat a cook like that. I love a ham bone/bean cook.

I have always done navy bean or baby lima bean or split pea. But adding the Cumin and Chili sounds like a real nice switch.

I would think that stock was to die for.

Merry Cristmas,

Kent