Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is a good dome temp and internal temp for a pork butt? I will be doing a 5 pounder. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Zee,[p]250 dome, 195 or more internal.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Zee,
    I go with 235° grid temp, which is around 250° dome temp to start...done at an internal of 195-200° preferably closer to 200...this is for "pulled pork" if you're gonna slice it you don't need to cook it that high of an internal..[p]Wess

• WessB, have never done the pulled pork. I have seen posts where they use bear claw tools. I don't have those. Is it advisable to attempt without them? I alway cook to internal temps, not time, but can you give me a ballpark idea how long a 5 lb. butt will take? Thanks.
  • Beachbum
    Options
    Zee,
    I've never used "bear claws" to pull my pork.. just a fork and my fingers (which if you are not careful will get burned!)

• WessB
    Options
    Zee,
    While the bear claws do look cool, I have never used them..I have some fairly heavy rubber gloves and litterally just squeeze the meat....it will fall apart in your hands...worse case you can use a couple of forks...and the meat will still be HOT...so be careful...I would guess you would be in the 8-10 hour window..but these things never cook exactly the same twice..[p]Wess[p]Wess

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Beachbum,
    Prime rib turn out good? RD sends his love. LOL[p]Mike

• WessB
    Options
    Zee,
    While the bear claws do look cool, I have never used them..I have some fairly heavy rubber gloves and litterally just squeeze the meat....it will fall apart in your hands...worse case you can use a couple of forks...and the meat will still be HOT...so be careful...I would guess you would be in the 8-10 hour window..but these things never cook exactly the same twice..[p]Wess[p]Wess

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Zee,[p]With a dome of about 250°, you can use the rule of thumb of about 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound. I'm a egger less than a year, and I had a 5 lb. butt cook for 12 hours until it reached 200° internal. But most of them will get ther in about 8 hours. Bye the way, the 12 hour butt was the best I ever cooked so far. Let it do whatever it's gotta do. And enjoy!
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Zee,
    I set up these for a Christmas eve party. Rubbed the one on the right with Bad Byrons and the other with Willingham's. Both got coated with French's.[p]PulledPork002.jpg[p]Cooked them at 250 dome, which turned out to be 230 grid in my XL.[p]PulledPork006.jpg[p]They finished in 20 hours.[p]PulledPork007.jpg[p]This was two Boston Butts weighing 8.52 and 9.64 respectfully. I stated this to let you know that two will cook roughly the same amount of time as one. I used Weekend Warrior and a two hand fulls of apple chunks.[p]Good Luck[p]Mike[p]Good luck