Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

couldn't wait a week for WOOSDAY: Christmas Wellington

Options
2»

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    stike,
    damn stike, that is really beautiful ...and as usual, when presented with the opportunity, your artistic side really shines through!! . ...great stuff. ..

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,756
    Options
    100_1702.jpg
    <p />stike,
    you mean i could put them in numerical order as well, ill have to think about that.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    thankibus muchibus, maximus!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    stike,[p]I've never had a beef wellington, but that, my man, is amazing.[p]Truly inspiring cook. Awesome detail. Did it taste as good as it looked?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    AlaskanC,[p]HAHAHAHAHA!!![p]That was truly laugh out loud funny.[p](waiting for the rooster pic.....)
  • stike
    Options
    Fidel,
    better. it really is a 'simple' cook. takes time though. i did individual filets a while ago, and you can make everything ahead of time, a day or so. that's the way to do it.[p]but this was a good reason to putter all day.

• stike
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    i can see right into that damn thing. might want to run a Q-tip around in there every now and then. just saying....[p]

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    stike,[p]dang - here I was expecting something about it being fat & grey, but noooo...[p]
  • Frozen Chosen
    Options
    stike,
    Beings as how its been 2 days, you'll probably never read this post, but I see you never mentioned what the wine was. Looks a bordeaux by the lable. Lafite? I'd like to hear more about it. Some ullage and the cork looks a bit dry, but so am I after 50+ years. Also after this time, did it need aeration? More importantly, how did it taste? For a wine this old, you have an obligation to post a review on one of the wine forums! I remain envious.

• stike
    Options
    Frozen Chosen,
    yep, it was a lafite.[p]there was a little ullage, but still a pretty high fill i think for that age. seen some low ones. the cork was wetter than that, but it did split. i didn't aerate. for a couple reasons.[p]when they are that old, any aeration at means you lose the bottle nose. the nose doesn't hang around. if there's anything funky, i still want to smell it, and it will blow off quickly enough. plus, with two people, the nose can change when you take your time drinking. i'd hate to aerate it for a few hours and lose the nose, essentially. [p]did you see the decanter? it's actually designed NOT to aerate, in a way. big new reds i'll splash and pour glug glug right down the neck, aerating as much as possible, but the older stuff i like to pour softly. that decanter has an insert which sends the wine quietly down the side of the decanter, and any bits of cork get caught by the sieve. i didn't really have much cork,but it can happen with the 'old' stuff.[p]i have another left, higher fill i think. better label. this was the 'test'to see if it'd be ok before we shared the other bottle.[p]last year, in the month between our mutual 40th birthdays, my wife and i had a '66 bordeaux each weekend. six in all. wonderful stuff. the '57 was the best, according to my wife.[p]i'll refrain from the review. i caught enough grief just for doing the fancy puffed pastry! if i start describing wine here, they'll really ream me.

• T-Que
    T-Que Posts: 44
    Options
    stike,[p]All I can say is WOW!! Looks great, I can almost smell it. After reading all the posts the one thing I did not see was, well... the recipe?? Do you have that in a format you can post or a link to it somewhere? I have a loin in the fridge, my parents are in town, great football game tomorrow, seems like a great day to spend creating a meal to remember. I was talking to my Dad tonight and mentioned Beef Wellington and he being quite the cook himself said he had made it some time ago (like 30+ years) but forgot where he got the recipe. I'd love to give it a go for them tomorrow.[p]thanks in advance.
    TQ[p]PS. dont think I can match the wine. That was impressive!!

• stike
    Options
    T-Que,
    i'll tell you, we had a $24 bottle of white oak cab sauv as a follow-up, and it was mighty fine too!