Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauce for pouring over streak

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to be grilling up some steaks this evening for just myself and my wife and am looking for a great idea for a sauce to serve over the steaks. My wife really likes muchrooms......anyone have a good idea/recipe for such a sauce......or something else which you would recommend? Happy weekend and happy grilling to all!!

Comments

• Ca_rnivore
    Options
    Tom D.,[p]Not really a sauce, but I like to saute onions , 'shrooms and garlic in a little butter. [p]If you're really looking for a treat try bleu cheese, bread crumbs and butter mixed to a thick paste and refridgerated to stiffen it up a bit. Slice the mixture up and put it on top of the steak to meltit before removing the steaks from the grill. Again, not a sauce, but something else to try.[p]--Kevin

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Tom D.,[p]I've made some "sacrificial steak" sauce for steaks I've cooked on the grill. Basically, in addition to some good steaks cooking away on the grill, I've seared one on the stovetop in a pan. This can be a cheaper steak since all you're really interested in are the crusty flavor bits which result from the sear. Season with salt and pepper and sear the steak in the pan along with perhaps some chopped shallots. When the steak is done, deglaze the pan with beef broth and red wine. Simmer this on the stove top while adding whatever herbs you fancy (perhaps some thyme) and reduce the sauce to the desired consistency. Also, whisk in some butter to enrich the sauce.[p]I got the idea to use a sacrificial steak for sauce from someone who told me about using a sacrificial steak on top of another grilling steak to keep one side from cooking while the other sears (different use of a sacrificial steak, but a sacrificial steak, nonetheless).[p]Another option is to cook the steak in a heavy duty pan, such as cast iron, directly on the grill. I've never done this since my 12 inch cast iron pan doesn't fit on my small Egg, but I know others have. If you do this, you can use the flavor bits from that pan to make a quick pan sauce.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed,
    Thanks a lot.....man, even thought I had lunch just over an hour ago, my mouth is starting to water......not good!! I will give it a try and post the results this evening!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Forgot to add that if you want a thicker sauce, add a thickening agent such as arrowroot at the end of the simmer. Basically, combine a small amount of your liquid sauce with a small amount of arrowroot or cornstarch or whatever in a small bowl with a whisk. One all lumps are gone, slowly whisk this back into your sauce pan.[p]Now that I've typed this all up, I'm realizing I should have just linked to another site which describes this process much better than me! OK, I think it's about 3 hours until beer thirty...[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Wine?!? You allow wine in your house? Now I have heard it all. What is next, ST drinking champagne?[p]Actually, that is a very nice write up. I like using Shallots in sauces. Make sure that they get minced up fine. Since mushrooms also want to be the mix, just add them in before you thicken up the sauce. Spring for the good mushroom like Creminni or even dried Cepes. You can get good mushroom flavor from not a lot of mushrooms. Also, instead of a beef stock, you could use a mushroom stock. Last thought, use unsalted butter.[p]Wine? Try Guinness.
    RhumAndJerk

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Tom D.,
    One of these might work...A couple of the look pretty good.
    Larry

[ul][li]Sauce for Steaks[/ul]
  • Tom D., to each his own but I enjoy the taste of a good steak by itself, but when I want to kick my cholestral
    a notch or two I hit the hot finished steak with ghee.
    http://BigGreenEgg.com/recipes/newRecipes/sauces0199.htm

• bdavidson
    Options
    Tom D.,
    You've got to give steak au poivre a try.
    Sautee two cloves of garlic and two large shallots in two Tbsp of butter in a large pan over medium heat. Then when the shallots are transparent, add 1/2 cup of beef stock and two Tbsp of Cognac and flambe. Then add 1/2 cup of heavy cream, and simmer for around 20 minutes until the mixture thickens. You can add a healthy dose of chopped Shitake mushrooms and serve over freshly egged steaks.... It is the stuff legends are made of. I think the original recipe is from JJ, whom my wife now regards as a member of the family because of it!

• bdavidson,
    Thanks! That does sound great! I've printed out a number of ideas and am adding it to my "recipe book" which is an undersized 3 ring binder with a bunch of ideas from over the years![p]Happy weekend!

• bdavidson
    Options
    Tom D.,
    I have the same setup for my egg recipes. Everybody knows not to touch the red binder! [p]This really is an outstanding sauce. We've used it primarily for steaks, but it's great on just about everything. Perfect for the mushroom lover. The recipe calls for you to first sear the steaks in the cast iron skillet prior to grilling, then using that skillet to prepare the sauce. I have never done that, but will try it when the weather warms up a bit. I bought a cast iron skillet specifically for this purpose.[p]Bon appetit!

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Speaking of wine, there are two wines that I use on a regular basis for cooking. They are Sweet and Dry Vermouth. Being that they are fortified wines, they hold up well after the bottle has been opened. I call them ingredient wines for when you just need to add some flavor and do not want to open a whole bottle of wine.[p]I recently purchased a bottle of Marsela Wine for the same purpose. Man does add a great flavor to mushrooms.[p]He. He. He. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Man that marsala is good. How can you tell if it is fortified stuff? Are most of the ones with a screw on cap fortified?[p]I always have Sherry, Sake, Marsala on hand. And of course some bourbon. How about dark rums? Suggestions? Now I gotta get me some Vermouth. Thanks for the tips.[p]Heeeee!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Fortified wines (including port, sherry & madeira) are jazzed with extra alcohol - in the form of wine, brandy, or neutral spirits. Screwtop optional.[p]Cathy

• Tom D.,
    it's bedtime so I am not going to read the reply's first,,, but I know what they are going to say anyway. Here is a simple but elegant sauce for steaks,, and a good side for taters and such.[p]Mushroom halves, fresh garlic, a few paper-thin onion slices, and REAL butter heaped with fresh ground pepper. Just saute them all together for a brief time (like just 10 minutes after the butter gets hot). Spoon it over the steak and taters and watch the guests talk with their mouthes full as they exclaim how great it is. :)

• Mvc-001f.jpg
    <p />Tom D.,
    Thanks to all for the information. Because of time, etc. I decided to go with what I had at home rather than make a trip to the store. I too a large white onion and sliced it thin, some minced garlic, a tbsp of flour, butter, 1 cup chicken broth (of all things) and some cooking sherry. Mixed it all together and cooked on medium until the onions were clear and all the ingredients thickened. I did the steaks on the egg using the 3-3-5 method and they came out PERFECT. I scooped the onion on top of the steak, served with a nice baked potato and perfectly steamed broccoli. It was a DARN FINE meal, even if I do say so myself!! Thanks for all the threads....I made note of all and will eventually try them all!! Picture doesn't do it justice!!