Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My BGE table is almost complete . . . now for the wheels

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all I would like to thank the Whiz for documenting the building of his table. Your design was the inspiration for my new table. I also want to thank those who replied to my inquires about which type of wood to use. FYI, I chose 'appearance' grade PT (cost being the driving factor) which turned out rather nice after lots of sanding and a few coats of Spar. However, I am not sure why they call it 'appearance' grade as I had to pick through the stacks at several Home Depots to find enough pieces that were worthy of this project.[p]Anyway . . . my table is now complete, minus the wheels. I am looking for input from anyone (Whiz included!) who has used air filled tires on their cart. Basically, I want to know how the air filled tires have held up over time. I am also interested in how you attached the tires to your table (i.e. axel or carriage bolt).[p]Thanks in advance for the input :)

Comments

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Eggtopia,[p]Well, mine has wheels, but they are not air-filled. I saw what happened to those of the Whiz originally, so I was very careful to choose only very strong wheels. I also didn't want air-filled, because I was planning to hide the wheels under the table, and refilling them later would be out of the question.[p]The ones I picked came from a company here in town called Northern Tool, and they are supposed to have a ridiculous weight limit of 600-800 lbs PER WHEEL. I did put mine on an axle (threaded rod), as the wheels I picked had their own bearings - I just tightened bolts around both sides of each wheel, and that was it. The wheels were around $10 each. Northern Tool is on the web. They are at:[p]http://www.northerntool.com[p]Go to their site, and just do a "keyword" search for "wheel", and you will have a ton to choose from. It is a VERY slow site.[p]You can sort of see my wheels on one of my "During Construction photos". Here a link direct to the picture:[p]http://www.dreamglass.org/Egg/PreConstruct/prefrontstraight.jpg[p]If you want to see all my table pics, they are at link below:[p]
    - Mike

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Eggtopia,[p]I used some ten inch pneumatic tires I picked up from Harbor Freight . While they do allow you to order from the website, the tires are not listed. If there is a retail store nearby, they have alot to choose from. Northern also has a good selection as well.[p]Ashley

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Eggtopia,
    Well, the old Whiz waddles in.... I've been eating big time for 2 weeks now due to a friend from the UK who likes to eat visiting... Waddle.... Waddle....[p]Uh, oh, the wheels. Well, I used the hand truck tires from Home Depot and they have held up very well for about 5 months now. I used big*ss bolts because I couldn't find any threaded rod big enough without looking around, and I was lazy, and I wanted wheels!! The wheels are crooked because I did a sloppy job of drilling the holes, but someday I will replace the bolts with a threaded rod and all will be well. I will now waddle out.....[p]Waddle....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Eggtopia,[p] I used two 10" metal lawn mower wheels with bearings in them. For the axle, went to the farm store and got an axle rod and caps![p]MikeO
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, after almost a year and a half, my TABLE waddles! I used bolts to put my wheels on and over time they have started to spread. I too will replace them with a solid axle WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT. (Which means - not this weekend.) Lessons learned form my table - 1) stain and finish all the wood BEFORE assembling 2) use an axle for the wheels. Oh, and I forgot - LOTS OF BRACING.