Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your favorite brisket rub?

WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am interested in your opinions on this. What is your favorite brisket rub recipe? Also, are there any store bought rubs that you would recommend?[p]Bob

Comments

• WudEyeDoo,[p]I like the basis, kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder. Then slather it up with yellow mustard.

• WudEyeDoo,
    I start out with a basic BBQ rub of brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, ground pepper, sea salt, chili powder and cumin. Then I go to the spice cabinet and add a little of whatever catches my eye; an italian blend is always good, Old Bay, Season-All, seasoned salt work into the meat as well. The biggest discovery I've made though is to add a pinch each of ground cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice, a little goes a long way with these. Don't substitute the oriental five spice blend of these though, it just doesn't work as well.

• WudEyeDoo,[p]I like Willy's Number One-derful Rub outa the 'Smoke & Spice' cookbook. I use it on just about everything. I also have been using a commercial rub called East Texas Pecan Rub that I got at BBQ's Galore, but it's kinda sweet for my tastes. For a more savory rub, I just found Marv's Savory Rub out of 'The New Low-country Cookbook'. This one is good and it's simple, but I think I'm gonna tweak it a little and try to get the flavor more to my liking.[p]--Kevin

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    WudEyeDoo,[p]Here is my favorite beef rub. It is a clone of a very popular steakhouse. I use it on all my beef...steaks, roasts, burgers, etc.[p]Yum-Yum Steak Seasoning [p]4 tablespoon(s) Salt
    2 tablespoon(s) Paprika
    1 tablespoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Onion powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon Coriander
    1/2 teaspoon Turmeric[p]PREPARATION:
    Mix together and use on any beef. Makes about 1/2 cup.

Now, I will also give you my contest brisket prep(I swore I would never do this, but what the hell).........[p]First, remove ALL the fat cap in one large piece. This is easy if you have a nice 6" flexible boning knife..I use my $15 Forschner to great effect. Don't worry about cutting into some of the meat or leaving a thin layer of fat. Save this in a cool place.[p]Once the fat is removed........
    Slather with A1 or Country Bob's All-Purpose sauce.
    Slather again with prepared horseradish..NOT the mayo-based kind, but the grated kind.
    Sprinkle liberally with Yum Yum Steak Seasoning.[p]Wrap in plastic and let sit as long as you can...over night isn't needed..we never have that much time at a cook-off.[p]Just prior to cooking, unwrap and sprinkle again with Yum Yum.
    Replace fat cap on top and......[p]Cook at 225º.......ummmmmmm, grate level! LOL[p]When temp reaches 185º or a probe slides in easily, take off heat and place on large piece of foil. Remove the fat cap and discard.
    Pour 1/4 - 1/2 cup beef broth over the top(I use Minor's Beef Base), making sure to crinkle the foil to catch the juice.
    Wrap tightly in foil, wrap again in towel and place in ice chest for 1 hour or longer.[p]Enjoy!![p]bbqflames.gif

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Stogie,
    Thanks for shareing your cooking method. Most of the briskets I find around here are pretty fat.Does your cook render out a lot of the internal fat,like a butt? Thanks again. Bob

• Stogie
    Bamabob,[p]I should have mentioned...when competing, I only cook the flat portion. Not much fat on that, except for the fat cap. No, the fat cap will not render, not even close. [p]Before I started removing the fat cap completely, I would have to trim to about 1/8"...that seemed to be the ideal amount of fat to leave on it. I cook in the WSM which will give you different results than most off-sets. The moist environment seems to inhibit the rendering of that much fat cap. Plus, I cook all my meats at 225º and those flats will usually only take about 1 hr. per pound depending on the thickness. Just not enough time to render that much fat.[p]I cook the point exactly like I cook a butt....most of the fat will render out of the point, though not all of it.[p]bbqflames.gif
  • Stogie,
    I cook whole briskets but I found if you render a brisket down to the point you can a butt they will dry out. This is more true for the flat than the deckle. Because the longer leaner muscle structure of the flat it can't take the same amount of rendering.
    Jim

• Stogie
    I agree Jim, that is why I cook them totally separate. If you cook just the deckle, you will find it cooks almost exactly as a pork butt, but always seems to have more fat left in it.[p]I have had flats finish within 1 hr./lb. but the deckle alone takes twice that long.[p]bbqflames.gif
  • Stogie,
    You just have a finer line to hit, much less margine for error. I know it works, I've been beaten more than a couple of times by teams cookn' flats.
    Jim