Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I tried the "reverse sear" method yesterday

Suck Creek Wings
Suck Creek Wings Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ala Alton Brown on a rib roast. 225 degrees for about 4.5 hours and then a rib side down 500+ (direct) for about 10 minutes. [p]Perfection. [p]Thanks for all the tips. Merry Christmas. [p]

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Suck Creek Wings ,[p]I'm doing the same thing as I type this. Fire stabilizing thanks to the fine folks at Wicked Good, roast is ready to go on.
  • Suck Creek Wings ,
    Sounds Good! Where's the pics?

• Brunomax,[p]Not the best pics in the world.....[p]ChristmasRibRoast006.jpg[p]ChristmasRibRoast008.jpg[p]ChristmasRibRoast012.jpg[p]
  • Suck Creek Wings,[p]Looking at the second pic I suppose it could have used another 10-15 minutes resting. Turned out great though.
  • Suck Creek Wings ,
    I cooked a ten pound prime rib yesterday. I got the Egg to nuclear power and seared the prime. Oh yea, I don't have to shave my left arm anytime soon. Pulling the prime to put coat of roasted garlic, olive oil, horseradish, salt and pepper. I got the nuclear stage back to coal fired energy and roasted the prime at 275 indirect in a roasting pan. It came out perfect. But I have a theory. The next time I think I will NOT sear the meat. Nor sure what the purpose is for searing. The prime was in the Egg for almost 3 hours and I believe in that time it would have a nice crust on it anyway. I took it off at 120 internal and after rest of 20 minutes, I cut into a perfect prime rib, rare to medium rare and juices running. YUM YUM[p]MC Jerry

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Suck Creek Wings,
    nah. you mean cuzza the juices running all over? juices don't really "redistribute" after resting.[p]cooking does cellular damage. the juices are 'out' no matter what. anyway, where would they go to, and then come back from ? do the juices move to one end, hang out, then migrate back all nice and even like?[p]hehehhe[p]looks damn good.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Jwirlwind,
    i think you are right, ol' boy. i don't like rolling that nice layer of fat around, either. fat can get bitter-black from too high a sear, and can also pull off the meat if it sticks to the grid.[p]for me, that best golden brown crust all-over is developed by low heat at the onset, followed by 500 at the end, indirect.

• Using the Alton Brown/reverse sear method about how many minutes per pound does it take to get the prime rib to an intermal temp of 115-120 when you are cooking it at a dome temp of 220 degrees?
    I am having family over for prime rib tonight and I am trying to figure out how long it will take me to come up to the proper internal temp and then finish with the 500 degree sear.[p]Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

• stike
    BamaSmoker,
    hate to say, i dunno.[p]did you check the recipe on the food network? he might give a hint. i do remember on the show he is a bit flip (not in a bad way) and says "it will hit 118 when it gets there".[p]too many variables to really pin it. b ut i'm with you. is it an hour? or twenty minutes? some kinda clue might be nice.[p]frankly, i never keep track, and only do rib roasts a cuppla times a year...[p]

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    BamaSmoker,[p]This is my first time doing a reverse. I am at dome temp 250 with a 7.6 pounder. It has been on almost exactly 2 hours and has risen from 45 to 95. I expect 2 more hours or so to hit 120 before I pull it to raise the temp. [p]I had mine out of the fridge for 2 hours before I put it on. One hour sitting, then prepped, then one more hour while the fire stabilized and smoke cleared.[p]
  • stike,
    Yeah, I really like Alton Brown but he never gives cook times, only temperatures. I realize that each piece of meat has a different "mass" but its hard to plan on having a piece of meat ready at a certain time (within 1/2 hour or so) when they don't give you an estimate of the cook time.
    I have a 6 and a half pound prime rib I'm about to put on right now. The egg is stable at 220 so here it goes...
    I'm guessing (and its really a guess} that its going to take about 30-40 minutes per pound to reach 120 internal temp using a cook temp of 220. If anyone has a better guess on how long it will take let me know.[p]Thanks for all the great posts you all put out there. I don't post much but enjoy lurking and getting tips from you guys.

• Fidel,
    Thanks for the info. I just put mine on 10 minutes ago. the thermometer said the internal temp was 50 degrees when I sarted. I'm thinking that at 220 cooking temp it will take me about 4 hours also until time to sear. Shooting for a finish time about 8 central time.[p]Good luck with yours and Merry Christmas.