Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I tried the "reverse sear" method yesterday

Suck Creek WingsSuck Creek Wings Posts: 112
edited 9:53PM in EggHead Forum
ala Alton Brown on a rib roast. 225 degrees for about 4.5 hours and then a rib side down 500+ (direct) for about 10 minutes. [p]Perfection. [p]Thanks for all the tips. Merry Christmas. [p]
·

Comments

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Suck Creek Wings ,[p]I'm doing the same thing as I type this. Fire stabilizing thanks to the fine folks at Wicked Good, roast is ready to go on.
    ·
  • Suck Creek Wings ,
    Sounds Good! Where's the pics?

·
  • Brunomax,[p]Not the best pics in the world.....[p]ChristmasRibRoast006.jpg[p]ChristmasRibRoast008.jpg[p]ChristmasRibRoast012.jpg[p]
    ·
  • Suck Creek Wings,[p]Looking at the second pic I suppose it could have used another 10-15 minutes resting. Turned out great though.
    ·
  • Suck Creek Wings ,
    I cooked a ten pound prime rib yesterday. I got the Egg to nuclear power and seared the prime. Oh yea, I don't have to shave my left arm anytime soon. Pulling the prime to put coat of roasted garlic, olive oil, horseradish, salt and pepper. I got the nuclear stage back to coal fired energy and roasted the prime at 275 indirect in a roasting pan. It came out perfect. But I have a theory. The next time I think I will NOT sear the meat. Nor sure what the purpose is for searing. The prime was in the Egg for almost 3 hours and I believe in that time it would have a nice crust on it anyway. I took it off at 120 internal and after rest of 20 minutes, I cut into a perfect prime rib, rare to medium rare and juices running. YUM YUM[p]MC Jerry

·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Suck Creek Wings,
    nah. you mean cuzza the juices running all over? juices don't really "redistribute" after resting.[p]cooking does cellular damage. the juices are 'out' no matter what. anyway, where would they go to, and then come back from ? do the juices move to one end, hang out, then migrate back all nice and even like?[p]hehehhe[p]looks damn good.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
    Jwirlwind,
    i think you are right, ol' boy. i don't like rolling that nice layer of fat around, either. fat can get bitter-black from too high a sear, and can also pull off the meat if it sticks to the grid.[p]for me, that best golden brown crust all-over is developed by low heat at the onset, followed by 500 at the end, indirect.

·
  • Using the Alton Brown/reverse sear method about how many minutes per pound does it take to get the prime rib to an intermal temp of 115-120 when you are cooking it at a dome temp of 220 degrees?
    I am having family over for prime rib tonight and I am trying to figure out how long it will take me to come up to the proper internal temp and then finish with the 500 degree sear.[p]Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

·
    BamaSmoker,
    hate to say, i dunno.[p]did you check the recipe on the food network? he might give a hint. i do remember on the show he is a bit flip (not in a bad way) and says "it will hit 118 when it gets there".[p]too many variables to really pin it. b ut i'm with you. is it an hour? or twenty minutes? some kinda clue might be nice.[p]frankly, i never keep track, and only do rib roasts a cuppla times a year...[p]

·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    BamaSmoker,[p]This is my first time doing a reverse. I am at dome temp 250 with a 7.6 pounder. It has been on almost exactly 2 hours and has risen from 45 to 95. I expect 2 more hours or so to hit 120 before I pull it to raise the temp. [p]I had mine out of the fridge for 2 hours before I put it on. One hour sitting, then prepped, then one more hour while the fire stabilized and smoke cleared.[p]
    ·
  • stike,
    Yeah, I really like Alton Brown but he never gives cook times, only temperatures. I realize that each piece of meat has a different "mass" but its hard to plan on having a piece of meat ready at a certain time (within 1/2 hour or so) when they don't give you an estimate of the cook time.
    I have a 6 and a half pound prime rib I'm about to put on right now. The egg is stable at 220 so here it goes...
    I'm guessing (and its really a guess} that its going to take about 30-40 minutes per pound to reach 120 internal temp using a cook temp of 220. If anyone has a better guess on how long it will take let me know.[p]Thanks for all the great posts you all put out there. I don't post much but enjoy lurking and getting tips from you guys.

·
  • Fidel,
    Thanks for the info. I just put mine on 10 minutes ago. the thermometer said the internal temp was 50 degrees when I sarted. I'm thinking that at 220 cooking temp it will take me about 4 hours also until time to sear. Shooting for a finish time about 8 central time.[p]Good luck with yours and Merry Christmas.

·