Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Butts - desired internal Temp

GrillCrazyGrillCrazy Posts: 8
edited 4:26AM in EggHead Forum
Hello and Merry Christmas Everyone,[p]I put on 4 -6.5 lbs butts on my new LG - BGE at 9 pm last night EST. I plan on pulling them at 3 pm which will be 18 hours they are all hovering around 180 degrees. - Should I wait until I get the internal temp to 195 to 200 or roll with what I have at 3 pm. I have smoked at around 230 degrees- I have kept the temp close to 230 the entire time- One two occassion while snoozing I caught the Temp at 200 . Another occassion , I caught the BGE at 250 -- But for the most part - I've been able to keep it at 230.[p]I would like everyones opinions. I following the competition Butt recipe from SQUEEZE which is posted on the BGE website.[p]THX

Comments

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,769
    GrillCrazy,[p] The 1-2 hours per pound is a guideline. It could take longer. It sounds like you might be in a second Plateau. [p]I would wait.[p]
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,359
    GrillCrazy, You could bump the temp up a bit if you're pressed for time...

• GrillCrazy,
    I have done many butts and the first think you need to do is get the heat going. 230 is too low. My therory, I love cooking butts at 275, indirect, and I fine that pulling at 200 degrees works best for me. I did two 8 pounders this past Saturday, 275 and took 12 hours and 40 minutes. [p]MC Jerry

• Pete,[p]GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK!!!!![p]Rich