Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plain old steak

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my new egg today. I want to do a steak tonight. Whats the best thing to do?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Francis Thomas,
    For seasoning, IMO, nothing beats a healthy dose of black pepper, and a sprinkling of kosher salt.[p]How thick is your steak, and which cut??
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    What cut would you recommend? I like my steak Meduim Rare. I kind of favor a Sirlion and like them about 1 inch to 1 1/4.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Francis Thomas,
    Thickness is your friend when cooking at high temps on the Egg..personally I prefer a filet or rib eye..but hey..thats why they make chocolate and vanilla..and NatureBoy`s advice is ALWAYS good advice...[p]Wess

• Nature Boy
    steaks.jpg
    <p />Francis Thomas,
    Sirloins are nice...a bit more chew, but loaded with BEEF flavor. This picture is of some nice choice top sirloins from Costco. I did them over a turbo fire...800 plus. What your dome temp says is not so important, but you want a screaming bed of coals underneath. [p]I did these 1.5 then rotate, then 1.5. Flip. 3 more minutes. Then I move it over to the side, and close the bottom vent. And let it hang out for another few minutes, depending on how much of a sear you got. If I got a really dark sear, the dwell time will be short.[p]I really believe the dwell time needs to be determined by look and feel. There is a fine line between overcooking.[p]HTH. Beers onya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Howdy Wess.
    Always is a big word....but thanks! The wild part is that advice can only be as good as what I have learned. Still a long ways to go.[p]Can't go wrong with a ribeye, and filets always get me rolling my eyes in pleasure!![p]See you soon!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    My mouth is watering looking at your picture. I think I will get some thick ribeyes and give them a try.[p]Francis

• WessB
    Nature Boy,
    I`m home today preparing to do my "first" turkey this afternoon..Sally is having some old friends over and I`m playin chef..I told her if I botch this one they may all be eating pizza from down the street..LOL..but I got at least a little faith in my abilities and think it will turn out fine...not real sure on the timing but it`s not really critical anyway..thinkin 4 hours for a 14# bird at 325°...hope all are well on the home front and things just to crazy last week for me to get down there, I didn`t forget ya....SOON..[p]Wess

• WessB
    Francis Thomas,
    LOL...that picture always makes everyone`s mouth water..enjoy your steak as I know you will.[p]Wess

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Francis Thomas,[p]Good choice! My favorite....KISS it. LOL[p]BBQBeth

• Nature Boy
    WessB,
    My guess is 3.5 hours on your bird. But hey, BBQ aint about exact times. Can't hurt to allow 4.[p]I knda doubt you'll botch this one. How did you end up seasoning it?[p]Have fun. And hi to Sally.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • WessB
    Nature Boy,
    I brined it for approx 36 hours...with a kinda...whatever looks good in the cabinet...attitude...obviously salt and sugar..a little thyme,honey,pepper,onions,garlic,orange slices,think I may have thrown in some paprika, really dont remember what all I threw in...its in the fridge drying right now after I injected it with a honey butter mixture I made..gonna smoke over apple juice with apple wood..I find myself using apple juice and apple wood on almost all my low and slows anymore....I know they say you dont need to inject with a brine..but I did it for the flavor...we`ll see..gonna use the advice of the forum and put oranges,apples and onion in the cavity....[p]Wess

• Nature Boy,
    Man... You sure hit my hungry button with that photo.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Francis Thomas,[p]I expect TNW to jump in on this, with a PSA about flashbacks, however...[p]I like simple salt and pepper as a seasoning, and a baked potato. You can do the potato in the BGE, just like you would an oven, but it needs to be done, before the steak goes on – or you could just nuke it.[p]Regarding the cook itself, you want to get your Egg really hot…700+. One small piece of smoking wood will suffice, possibly mesquite, or hickory, but whatever suits you. With the fire going good, sear one side for 3-4 minutes and the second side for about 30 seconds less than the first side. For me, some steaks need 3 minutes, and some need 4 minutes. Thickness and meat temp to start both affect this. By the flip, the meat is quite a bit hotter, so the second side usually needs less time.[p]After the two sears, I flip again, close the lid, and dwell from 3-5 minutes. To dwell, I close the bottom vent completely and put the green rain cap on the Egg. No air flow means that the trapped in heat is now doing the cooking. The length of the dwell, coupled with the thickness of the meat establishes the difference between rare, medium, and well done. [p]Just before you want the dwell to finish comes the most difficult part. About 30 seconds before you want to open the lid, remove the top lid, and fully open the bottom vent. You should hear/see the fire restart. After that, carefully and slowly open the lid. You are trying to avoid a hair-removal process known as FLASHBACKS. Few have been seriously harmed, but the risk is still great. Flashback avoidance is so difficult, because it’s easy to forget, particularly with your meal so close at hand. And even when you think you’ve taken all the right steps, you can still get flashbacks, so it’s just plain good advice to remind yourself of this possibility nearly every time you open the lid, with a dome temp above 300.[p]Good luck and enjoy your steak! I’d personally opt for a T-Bone the first time out, as if you mess it up, you might not feel as bad about ruining it…but if it turns out excellent (which I have little doubt it will), you’ll enjoy the result.[p]--sdb[p]PS- Darn I’m hungry!
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    The other thing that you need to keep in mind is that steak takes a shorter time on the Egg than it would on a regular barbecue. I didn't realize that, and I cooked it for a total of 15 minutes (3 minutes per side at 700, and then "dwell" for nine minutes more). [p]Although it was technically well done (i.e., no pink meat), it was still very tender and juicy. But I wish I had let it dwell for only six minutes, and maybe less.[p]Incidentally, I marinated it for a couple of hours in Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, dry Italian herbs, and pepper. And then I put in a couple of pieces of oak (in the fire, not the marinade). Wonderful flavor.
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    WessB,[p]I'm not sure about time, but if the breast is reading in the mid-160's its done. 325-350 is a good cooking temp. And apple smoking wood is also my favorite. [p]My Christmas bird had a very, very good breast, but the thighs really weren't done. However, my T-Day bird was all done everywhere. That's sorta the tough thing about turkey. If the breast is done, some times the legs aren't, you kinda have to prioritize what meat you want to be the best.[p]I think that brined turkey off the Egg is one of the best possible meals. Too bad it takes so much work to make one, or I'd do them more often.[p]Last, Alton Brown (from the Food Channel) notes that stuffing the cavity with items should be considered an aromatic. I stuffed one of my last 2 birds with thyme, onion, apple, and other things, and the other bird was left alone. I don't think I noticed a difference. The smoke aromatic seems to win out. However, as always, your mileage may vary.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb
  • Francis Thomas,[p]I like an inch thick New York strip. I coat mine with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and let 'em sit while I'm starting and stabilizing my fire (30-40 minutes). I do mine using the 3/3/4 method at about 550 degrees. 3 minutes on one side, 3 minutes on the other, then flip again and let it dwell 4 minutes. Nice and medium rare every time. If I want to get fancy, I'll put the steaks on at a 45 degree angle to the grill then rotate each side 90 degrees halfway through the 3 minute cook time. This leaves those crisscross grillmarks that you see in a restuarant.[p]-Kevin