Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dual Butts

Options
DrummerDawg
DrummerDawg Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well - I was so successful with my first Butt the previous weekend that I was asked to do some more for the Superbowl yesterday. To make a long story as short as possible - I bought 2 butts from Costco, total weight 15 pounds. I put them on the egg at 8:00pm friday using a v-rack with drip pan. It was really windy here on Friday so I had a hard time holding the temp at 225. I woke up a couple times during the night and the dome temp had dropped to 150-160. I'd get the dome back to 225 and then go back to bed. I had a really long stall at 155 - 5 hours (10:00am - 3:00pm). I finally 'forced' them out of the stall by bringing dome up to 270. These things finally finished at 7:00pm Saturday - 23 hours total cook.[p]When I went to take them off of the v-rack they didn't fall apart like my other one did. Parts of each butt were actually very hard to pull so I just left large chunks alone. The taste wasn't quite as good as the first one either. Wasn't as moist, tender, or flavorful. I did get a lot more meat, in proportion, from these though. [p]Question is - did I do something wrong or does it sound like I just got a bad couple of butts (same package)? [p]BTW - everyone at the Superbowl party really loved the outcome so it wasn't a loss. I also made Jims Jack Sauce (minus the garlic - allergic) and it was a hit!! I also ended up with plenty of leftovers for freezing.[p]DrummerDawg

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    DrummerDawg,[p]The stall is when the internal fat & collagen are breaking down - and that's what makes a butt juicy and tender. Sounds like these butts may not have spent enough time there; next time, let them stall for as long as they like! Every piece of meat has its own timetable. [p]It's typically easier to hold a dome temp of 250 than 225.[p]How did you determine the butts were done? If a fork twists easily, the meat should pull easily; this may happen at 200 or lower, depending on other aspects of the cook. [p]Anyway, I'm glad your guests liked the result! [p]Cathy

• Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Options
    DrummerDawg,
    I usually do two butts at a time on my medium egg so it can be done with success. How high did your meat temp get? Try to get cook until the internal temp is 200 degrees. You probably know that from reading this forum but it is easy to forget when you are drooling over pork butt. Just a thought.[p]Steve

• DrummerDawg
    Options
    Cat,
    I took the internal temp to 195. I also did the fork test and it twisted fine. But, there was a section in each butt that was "stuck together" and hard to pull. Almost like grissle (sp?).[p]So - from what you are saying I should have just held the temp at 250 and let the butts come out of the stall instead of raising the temp? I did that the first time, I was just getting a bit impatentient with these two. The first butt I cooked only had a 3 hour stall.[p]Maybe it was the fact that I was doing twice as much this time.?.?.?

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    DrummerDawg,[p]As long as there was adequate airflow, doing two butts wasn't the problem. Did you fork-test in several places? [p]I've done 2 butts of similar size and shape, side by side, and still seen a big difference in the length of the stall. I do think it's important to let it stay there for as long as it takes. Have another beer and be patient...[p]Cathy[p]
  • DrummerDawg
    Options
    Cat,[p]I'll take the beer advice. I didn't fork test in several places. Just one. The stall must have been the issue. Shouldn't have forced it.[p]Thanks for your comments!