Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mike? Max? Anyone? Need Brussel Sprout ideas

East Bay Al
East Bay Al Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife bought some Brussel sprouts to go with the Prime Rib tonight. I need some ideas beyond the usual steamed thing she does. I'd like to do them on the Egg.[p]Thanks
Al

Comments

• East Bay Al,
    I found a few here.

[ul][li]Brussel Sprouts[/ul]
  • East Bay Al,
    I can't.[p]Good luck,[p]Mike

• East Bay Al,
    Par boil them Thin slice then fry in garlic and butter.
    Happy Holiday,
    Ross

• Mike in Abita, thanks for the link- I'll search it, but it seems that Brussels Sprouts show up in your pictures sometimes- I figure you have to have a favorite recipe. Mind sharing?
    Thanks and Happy Christmas.
    Al

• East Bay Al,[p]This is an interesting one![p]Brussel, Sprouts, Animal Eater

I live near Monterey, Ca. where your sprouts probably came from so I eat them a lot. The key is to NOT boil or steam them. Instead, ROAST them.
    [p]Ingredients
    20-30 Brussel Sprouts
    1 medium white onion coarsely chopped
    2-3 TBS olive oil

Procedure
    1 Cut the nub off of each one and put them in a roasing pan that is large enough so the sprouts are not crowded (one layer deep).
    2 Coarsely chop a white onion, or use pearl onions, and toss into the pan.
    3 Generously drizzle olive oil over the onions and sprouts and add lots of S&P. Toss to coat evenly
    4 Roast at 450F until fork tender; expect 45 minutes to an hour.
    5 If they are big sprouts, reduce the heat a little and cook longer (DUH).
    6 I like them soft with a touch of brown on the outside. This method actually concentrates the flavor and adds a nice outer crispness whereas boiling and steaming reduces their flavor and makes them mushy.
    7 Have fun.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Side Dish, Vegetarian

Recipe Source
    Author: Animal Eater[p]Source: BGE Forum, Animal Eater, 04/02/03

[p]

• Car Wash Mike,[p]Is this the one? Happy Holidays![p]Brussel, Sprouts, Ddhuffjr

Hiya Jake,I hear I met you in Omaha, man I'm having a hard time putting names to those faces.

Directions:
    1 What I do is peel off the funky outer leaves as mentioned. Trim off the stem and cut them in half. I like to coat them with a tablespoon or two of canola oil and then toss in some Dizzy Pig Shaking the Tree rub. That rub is absolutely fantastic on them IMHO. The sugar in the rub kinda burns/carmelizes on the sprouts and if you cook them till just starting to get tender they have a real nutty flavor I think. I'll never eat sprouts from a box in the freezer section again.
    2 I like to get the pan really hot and then dump in the sprouts. Cook them a few minutes and then cover for a few to steam em up. I then uncover them and cook another minute or two.
    3 I really recomend a nonstick pan if inside or an enameled cast iron pan. I've got a shallow braising pan I bought from walmart. Search them online it is tramaneta (spelling probably wrong) cast iron pan and you'll find them. Great stuff. I had both the braising pan and pot at Omaha if you saw them.
    4 Here is a picture from a cook inside. Cleaning the burnt spots from the sugar off the stainless steel pan is a real job. Get an enameled cast iron pan and clean up is a pinch.

Recipe Type
    Side Dish, Vegetarian

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Dhuffjr, 09/20/07

[p]

• Richard Fl,
    You know what is amazing about that? Where was Dhuff's mind. Matthew? I remember now. LOL[p]Mike

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    East Bay Al,[p]Braised in Cream?[p]1 pound of Brussels Sprouts prepped as others explained
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/2 tsp table salt
    pinch of nutmeg
    fresh ground pepper[p]Bring sprouts, cream, and salt to boil in 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Lower heat, cover, and simmer (shaking pan once or twice to redistribute sprouts) until knife tip inserted into a brussels sprout center meets no resistance, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with nutmeg and pepper and serve.

• East Bay Al,
    1-1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed
    4 bacon slices
    1 Braeburn apple, peeled and diced
    2 Tbsp. minced shallots
    1 garlic clove minced
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1/4 cup low sodium fat-free chicken broth
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup freshly shaven Parmesan cheese[p]1. cut b sprouts in half and cut into shreds
    2. Cook in large skillet bacon 8-10 minutes until crisp. Remove bacon, drain. Leave 3 Tbsp drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
    3.Saute apple shallots garlic in hot drippings 3 minutes. Stir in wine, broth, salt and pepper, stirring to deglaze pan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add sprouts and saute 8-10 minutes until sprouts are crips-tender. Top with shaved parmesan and crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.[p]If you don't like that one, man there's gotta be something wrong, lol![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • East Bay Al,
    you won't get any brussel sprouts ideas out of me. .. . you don't want me telling you what to do with those little green turds!! LOL . ..

• mad max beyond eggdome- Hey! I dint say anything about your Mu Shu Pork! LOL! They are not for everyone, but since we got em, were gonna cook em right.
    Mike and Richard and others came to the rescue. I've got them in roasting now. TNW has a great sounding idea, but I got it a little too late for tonight. Darn neighbor stopped by witha bottle of Christmas cheer and I got off schedule.[p]Al

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Richard Fl,
    Thats them :>)[p]The family just left and we're fighting the kids......well okay...just Bubby the wild boy to go to sleep so we can finish the night and crash ourselves.[p]H

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Car Wash Mike,
    Distraction and I've got an old man's mind in a middle aged mans body. LOL[p]H

• East Bay Al,[p]Sorry I had a party to go to and left right after the original post. I like it simple. A little bacon grease in a CI skillet on the egg, cut sprouts in half and season with rub of choice or just S&P.[p]
    Chicken004.jpg[p]Mike