Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pigasso's slow roasted prime rib

Pigasso
Pigasso Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wow - home for the holidays from Yemen - so you know I am going to enjoy some great food with the family for the next few weeks! Here is my favorite prime rib recipe I thought I would share - the main difference with others I have seen is that the searing takes place at the end of the cook as opposed to at the beginning. [p]Prime Rib
1 three-rib prime rib roast cut from the small end (referred to as the loin or 1st cut) weighing about 7 lbs. Ask the butcher to have it boned and tied.[p]Seasoning.
4 tsp Colemans English dry mustard
4 tsp Dijon mustard
4 tsp white granulated sugar
Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper[p]Remove from fridge 2 hours before cooking. After 1 hour mix the dry mustard, Dijon mustard and sugar to form paste. Apply a thin layer of paste over the meat and fat surfaces of the roast (no need to apply to the bones). Cover loosely with Saran wrap and let rest at room temperature for one hour before cooking. Just before placing the roast in the egg, generously sprinkle the meat with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.[p]Place roast (bone side down) in pre-heated egg (indirect cooking set-up with drip pan) at 250 degrees - dome temp.[p]Cook at 250 degrees until it reaches an internal temp 12 degrees BELOW your desired final internal temp (about 30 min per pound). Remove roast, cover loosely with foil, and allow temp to rise until it reaches 128 degrees 15 - 20 minutes for medium rare. [p]Meanwhile, raise egg temp to 500 degrees. When roast reaches 128 degrees, place in egg and sear for 15 minutes.[p]Remove roast, cover with foil and let rest 20 to 30 minutes before carving.[p]Enjoy - and Merry Christmas to all.[p][p]

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Pigasso,
    some folks here are literally 'searing' on the grid, direct. i assume you are still roasting,at 500, for that last bit right?[p]that's the way we do it too. not direct, but high heat at the end. the slow intro cook allows juices to come to the surface a bit, the fat to soften, etc. then the final high heat gives you that nice crust.[p]good stuff. no roast for me for christmas... doing beef wellington. a roast, sure, but you know what i mean.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    stike, you are absolutely correct! Roast at 500 for the last bit.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Pigasso,[p]I have a 7.6 pounder for tomorrow and I think I'll give this a whirl. I had planned on the standard sear then finish method, but your method sounds good.[p]Thanks for sharing.