Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Plate Setter and TRex

Options
ThrRoff
ThrRoff Posts: 169
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to basically TRex a couple of tenderloin roasts tomorrow. If I leave my plate setter outside where is usually resides and then put it in the Egg for the indirect roast, it will get quite a shock going from around 35 degrees to around 400 degrees. Any potential damage to it?

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    ThrRoff,[p]Possibly, but even if it doesn't crack from the temperature gradient it experiences, your Egg will take a while to recover from the thermal load you've introduced. I'd put it in the Egg while you're starting it so it can warm up with it.

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    ThrRoff, I would say the thermal shock is going to crack it for sure. Why don't you just put it in the oven and heat it up (slowly) to about 200°. That may get you out of the woods. You can still handle it with leather gloves at that temp., and not take a chance.

• smokinsop
    Options
    ThrRoff,
    My platesetter was outside the last few weeks. 10 degrees yesterday. I went to 350 with no problems.

• Bob In Texas, I am not positive, but I don't think it will crack. As for putting a plate setter in an oven, some on here have done that to clean the plate setter and filled their house with smoke.