Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

high temp beer butt

Options
Kevin D
Kevin D Posts: 60
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just took a beer butt chicken off the Egg that I cooked at 450°. It came out excellent. My previous beer butt cook was at 350°. I had done that just once, and since then have been cooking them spatchcocked, using TNW's method.[p]My goal with this cook was to replicate the results that I get on a Weber kettle. The last time I did a beer butt on the Weber was during the summer. I put an oven thermometer in the kettle to check the temp. It maintained a fairly steady 450°. (poor Weber, it's going to have a medium Egg for company next summer)[p]With the Weber, I leave the chicken on for 1 1/2 hours. On the Egg, I left it on for 1 hour. One hour is plenty. A bit much for me, but perfect for my wife. The breast temps were in the mid to upper 180's. The moisture from the beer, or this time a can of coke, kept the bird very moist.[p]This is definately a great method to cook a chicken, especially if you want to do three or four at a time.[p]Kevin[p]

Comments

• Kevin D
    Options
    Just reading my post and I did not make clear the following: What I wanted to replicate was the crispy skin of the higher temp cook without drying out the meat. I did. From now on, all beer butt cooks will be at 450° minimum.[p]Kevin