Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another bunch of questions on cooking brisket!!!

Options
Peggy
Peggy Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone. I could use some advice on my first brisket. I have read several posts, but I still have some fundamental questions for you eggsperts. I purchased (2) briskets at Costo. One is 4.63 pounds and the other is 5.25 pounds. I would like to cook both. How long should I cook the briskets? Would overnight be acceptable? I own a plate setter and a grill extender, so what would be the best set-up for me? I understand dome temperature should be around 250 correct? Final brisket temp should be around 200 correct? Thanks everyone and if you want to send me your favorite recipe, feel free!.

Comments

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Peggy, You are lucky your Costco carries brisket, mine don't. Sounds like you got yourself a 'flat' or 'trimed' brisket which means most of the fat has been trimed off. Even so, you will get quite a bit of shrinkage wind up with 1/2 to 2/3 of what you start with.
    If the fat has been trimed, you will need to mop it every hour or so after the first 2 hrs of cooking to keep it from drying out.
    Cook at 250-275 for about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hrs per lb. You can not hardly 'over cook' a brisket using a low heat. The longer it cooks, the more tender it gets.[p]Marv[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Peggy,
    I am putting a 6 pound flat on tonight at midnight. It is for an early dinner tomorrow. I will probably go with the grill extender over a drip pan on the main grate. Since I am trying to slow the cook down a tad to stretch it thru the night, I will probably go wit 240 dome temp until I wake up, then bump it up over 250-275 depending on how it is moving along, and what the temp is at the cooking level.[p]As long as you don't use water in the drip pan, your briskets should finish up in 10 or 12 hours. No need to mop. It is not worth opening the lid.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Peggy
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the tips. What would happen if I did add water to the drip pan versus dry? Would that make the cook longer in duration or less?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Peggy,
    Times will be longer with water in the pan. Problem is, the water never gets above 212. And the water filled pan reflects the heat back down. I have had VERY good results without water, and cooking level temps are more predictable. I used to use water all the time....it just seemd like the "comfortable" thing to do when you think of a "moist" brisket. But I started experimenting, and found not only are cooking level temps more predictable, but the briskets were coming out just as moist....and cooking less slowly.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Peggy
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks. I'll let you know how I do. One thing for sure, I'm not staying up unitl midnight to start these darn things. Good luck with your Brisket!