Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bringing the Butt Home

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, been on a low-slow with 2-7.5 butts for about 18 hours or so (14 hrs at 200, 4 hrs at 250).[p]Mr. Pig is at 170 right now and needs to be at 200 in 3 hours. [p]Any suggestions other than cracking the lid (perish the thought) wrapping Mr. Pig up in foil and then blasting at 300++ till done?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Tiger Smoker,[p]At 200° dome, you were only cooking at 175° +/- actual. They will never get to 200° when cooked below 200°. Finish those boys off. They really need to be to finish temp sooner because a rest before pulling is a good idea. I would get the oven up to 275° or 300°, wrap in foil and let them do their thing.[p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>
    <font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Tiger Smoker,
    It's in the plateau, this is where the all the magic happens. All the fat and collegen are rendering and making the meat tender and juicy. I wouldn't "rush" it throught the plateau, but I might raise the temp to 275 dome, until done. although, I wouldn't be suprised if you left things "as are" and still finished early.
    Big'un

• jwirlwind
    Options
    Tiger Smoker,
    I am not sure what happened to your cook, but I think you started out way to cool. Yesterday I did to 8 pounders, at 275 dome indirect of course for 12 hours and forty minutes, pulled at 195 and had two sandwitches after 30 minutes rest. Personally, I don't go along with the exact temp for cooking butts. I think anywhere between 250 and 300 is fine. I have done many and never had a problem. [p]MC Jerry

• I ended up cracking the lid, wrapping in foil and getting the egg up to about 300 for an hour and got to 200 right after church (spent the entire service worrying about Mr. Pig).

Although I did rush the plateau, the butts were amazing and the family thought I was a grill magician...of course I told them it was all the egg![p]