Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow. Jerked Mahi Mahi.

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Holy kazowee. What a killer lunch. Was at Costco this morning, and per usual, spent some time in the meat department! They had these really fine lookin mahi mahi filets. I picked up a 3 pounder, and cut it up into nice 1/2-3/4 pound pieces, and removed the stripe of dark red fishy meat, vacuum sealed and froze all but one nice slab ( atad over an inch thick), which I threw in a quick marinade....Mrs.Dog's jerk, dijon mustard, and some white wine. Went and fired up junior while it marinated about 45 minutes....at that time junior was stokin' along at 450 with a nice small bed of glowing orange lump.[p]About 5-6 minutes a side, and it just began to firm up a bit and was nicely browned. It did not stick, or even come close to falling apart.[p]This was an incredible lunch. The fish was extremely moist, and had a very light flavor without even a hint of fishy. I remember mahi mahi as being sort of meaty and heavy like swordfish or tuna, but it was much lighter than that. Almost like a slightly firm sea bass. The texture was not unlike scallops.[p]I can definitely recommend good fresh mahi mahi to anyone non-fish fans....and of course to those who are! Just grill it up and enjoy a serious treat.[p]A full belly now....is it beer thirty?
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Mr Beer says: It's always beer thirty![p]And remember: Beer, it's not just for breakfast anymore.[p]Mr Beer[p]p.s. - Got's to get me some Mahi Mahi - sounded good.

• Nature Boy, One of my favorites. When your ready to take one of those out of the freezer try it blackened. Just get a commercial blackening for the first time (much easier)Paul Purdomes is good. Get your coals really, really hot and cook that baby up, it will throw up a lot of smoke. I use a test piece to determine when the other one is done. With a cold beer it doesn't get much better.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Muzzy o,
    You mean just cook it at 1000 degrees, right over the coals? Or in a cast iron pan over the coals??[p]1000 degrees does great things to squid. Have not tried it with fish. [p]Thanks for the tips. I would like to try this.
    Beers on you...hope things are good. I have been sending people to your chili recipe....but have not tried that one. The one you emailed me still has my mouth watering.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I do blackened fish in a cast iron skillet with the BGE temp around 600 degrees. I don't care for the Paul Prudhomme's blackened Redfish Magic however. Does not have the same blackened flavor that you get with blackened food in Cajun country. Basically you melt some butter (or margarine) and dredge the fish into it. Apply the blackened seasoning. If using the Paul Prudhomme's apply very heavily (jar says 81 servings). Apply as though the jar was about 6-10 servings and add a tablespoon or two of fresh crushed black pepper and it will almost be as spicy as cajun blackened seasoning. Make sure the cast iron pan is very hot before adding the fish.[p]I usually do catfish fillets this way. 3 minutes per side and they will be cooked to perfection.[p]Mr Beer[p]You can't be a real country unless you have a beer & an
    airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
    --Frank Zappa