Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg size

Options
AL
AL Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife has given me egg purchase permission after C'mas?
I am real conflicted re size--L or XL?
Xl would be handy 4th of July and maybe one other time a year--but L likely fine almost every time--would XL require more charcoal to cook? [p]I like to cook say 5 split chickens sometimes? L do that?
any thoughts regrets etc appreciated?

Comments

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    I have both and I like the large much better. The XL is slow to start and the dome is too shallow...
  • Ryan,[p]I have a Medium and a Small. Of course, I'd love to have a large, too![p]I often cook for parties of 30 - 40. I recently cooked pork loin for 150 -- on the Medium! You'd be surprised what you can do without an XL![p]~ Broc[p]
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha, Eastward in Eden,[p]I also have a medium egg. (my only egg)
    Do you have any advice about how to set it up for cooking a large volume of ribs? I made an extender using screws and a weber grate. I've been able to do 3 whole ribs that way. Haven't figured out how to do them for a group of say...9 guys (all fat and big eaters, like me) LOL

• eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    Options
    Al,
    The XL does use a lot of lump. I don't have anything to compare it to until I get my recently purchased small up and running, but I know I seemed to be always buying another bag of charcoal and for all that I cooked it seemed to be quite excessive.[p]

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Al,
    I got an XL. Not one regret. Others have LGE, they have no regrets either.
    Here is another option. Most of us have two or more. I received a MINI as a gift and liked it so much that I followed it with an XL. If you were to get a LGE then by the 4th of July you would be ready for the Small. This would give you the needed additional room. Or you could just get the XL, have the room and wish for a MED like I am.I am confident that you will see the advantages of having an EGG and do what is right for your situation.[p]Happy EGGin
    Mike