Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough

Options
East Alabama Egghead
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anybody have a good pizza dough recipe where I will not have to use a bread machine? Never cooked a pizza on my large egg that my wife gave me for my birthday and she is on me about it, need help. [p]Thanks and Merry Christmas

Comments

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    East Alabama Egghead,
    I have had bad luck making dough. If it's your first attempt, I would buy some from a supermarket that makes it fresh. Or even better a pizza place that will sell you some. Most will. This will make a first time pizza come out good.

• HungryMan,[p]What went wrong?
  • Georgie
    Options
    East Alabama Egghead,
    I recently tried my first pizza using frozen bread dough from the supermarket. Just let it rise for a few hours and then spread it out on your pizza peel. I'm sure there are better ways of doing it, but it was easy and it came out pretty well for a first try.

• HungryMan
    Options
    East Alabama Egghead,
    The sad thing is I used to make pizza dough when I worked in a pizza place as a kid. I could do it with my eyes closed. The dough I made at home didn't stretch easy, rise or taste very good. Until I have time to play with dough, I'm sticking with the store bought. With that being said, I see plenty of great looking pizza pics on the forum. Lots of members have no problems.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    East Alabama Egghead,
    there are some in the recipes section..most notably would be "Spin's" recipe...[p]Wess

• Ottawa_egger
    Options
    East Alabama Egghead,[p]Try this one. I use if often, but omit the cornmeal - I got it from pizzaware.com which has since expanded it's product line, become successful, and removed its pizza recipe page. Excellent sauce recipe also attached.[p]New York-Style Pizza Dough
    INGREDIENTS:[p] 1 cup lukewarm water
    2 tablespoons milk
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon shortening
    1 tablespoon corn meal
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 package yeast
    3 cups all-purpose flour or unbleached white flour [p]DIRECTIONS:[p]In a large bowl, mix water, milk, brown sugar, salt and shortening with an electric mixer on a low speed for about 1 minute.[p]Add corn meal, olive oil and yeast, and continue mixing it for one minute. Let it rest for 5 minutes.[p]Add the remaining flour and mix it with your hands.[p]Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead the dough about 8 to 10 minutes.[p]Form the dough into a ball and place it on the table around a warm place. Let it rest about 45 minutes to 1 hour.[p][p]Pennsylvania-Style Pizza Sauce[p]INGREDIENTS:[p] 1 12 ounce can tomato paste
    11/2 cups water
    1 teaspoon ground oregano
    1/2 teaspoon basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon sugar
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon MSG (monosodium glutamate), optional [p]DIRECTIONS:[p]Measure dry ingredients into a small container, mix together well, and set aside. In a medium sized saucepan, combine tomato paste with water over medium heat until it has a uniform consistency. When it begins to bubble, add pre-measured spices and reduce heat to medium-low.[p]Allow to simmer, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes until it reaches desired thickness. Stir occasionally. Cover and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate in an airtight container until needed, (up to 4 weeks).

• East Alabama Egghead,[p]If you have a Sam's Club nearby, the deli sells a case, 15 balls of their dough frozen for about 15$.[p]Good stuf.[p]Best,[p]Kelly
  • Smoking Jacket
    Options
    East Alabama Egghead,[p]If Publix grocery store has spread it's empire from Atlanta to East Alabama, go visit the Publix bakery and follow the directions on the bag of dough. You may have to ask someone behind the counter for the dough. Be sure to let the dough sit out of the refrigerator as directed...it makes a difference.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    East Alabama Egghead,
    Someone was kind enough to share this with the forum a few weeks ago. I liked it so I saved a copy. [p]Hope this helps[p]Mike

[ul][li]Pizza [/ul]
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Mike in Abita,
    I'm going to order this dvd today. Did you buy it? Where can I get the flour they recommend? I would like to order that today so I don't have to wait for the dvd to arrive and delay my pizza making.
    Thanks
    Al

• Carbonizer
    Options
    East Alabama Egghead,
    Two links try-
    seriouseats.com/jvpizza
    pizzamaking.com look for lehman pizza dough calculator[p]Enjoy

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    HungryMan,
    Sorry Al. All I got was the link. Didn't order the DVD yet. Did leave enough hints so maybe Santa will bring it.[p]Mike
    As far as flour goes I like this brand.

[ul][li]http://www.kingarthurflour.com/[/ul]
  • QBH
    QBH Posts: 49
    Options
    East Alabama Egghead,[p]This one usually works for me. That Mr. Hyde guy must me a pretty good cook

[ul][li]http://www.phhp.ufl.edu/~tlambert/recipes/Mr-Hyde%27s-Pizza.htm[/ul]
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    East Alabama Egghead,
    If your in a hurry and don't have access to prepared crust, here is a suggestion. I keep a small supply of Kroger Brand Pizza Crust mix on hand for a quick pizza crust. It only needs 5-10 minutes after "hand mixing" in a warm place and it turns out a great 8-9 inch pizza crust. I've tried other package mixes, but the Kroger brand has always delivered to keep the "food snobs" happy!

Kent Madison MS