Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenerloin Butt Tender??

T-Que
T-Que Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a piece of beef called a "Beef Tenerloin Butt Tender". It is approx 3.1 lbs and its grade is Select. My wife bought it thinking it was a part of the Filet Loin. I am not sure. Was thinking about Christmas Dinner if its a decent piece of meat but the Select grade scares me. Can anyone shed some light on what this is, is a good piece of meat worthy of Christmas dinner and how would you cook it. If it ain't worth it I'm all about heading to the store for a standing rib roast and some prime rib for Christmas.
Thoughts?? Thanks in advance.
T-Que

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    T-Que,
    It is the butt end ( larger end ) of a whole beef tenderloin...the ones we get from costco make great roast, but they are choice...I have never tried select so can't really say...it could also be cut into filets though not from the heart of the tenderloin so wont be exactly like a true filet...your call..[p]Wess

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    T-Que,[p]It's from the tenderloin (the backstrap) not the loin (fillet). Tenderloins on beef are shaped just like the ones from hogs. Narrow on one end and wide on the other end. The narrow end is the "tip" (which sometimes is so thin, they need to be folded over on themselves and tied to make the thickness the same) and the wide end is the "butt". They will be buttery tender.[p]You can roast whole or cut into medallions and cook on the Egg, but my favorite way is pan fried in butter.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    T-Que,
    that's the chunked used in a chateaubriand roast.[p]not much fat in a tenderloin (flavor) and even less in a select chunk. [p]you might do it as a wellington roast, with pate', mushroom, puff pastry. that adds a lot of flavor. the tenderloin is tender, just not very flavorful. so the rest of the stuff cranks it up a level or two.[p] for christmas dinner, i was going to do a rib-roast (dry-aged ), but my wife also wants lobsters. we have a chunk of a tenderloin roast (like you) that is maybe 2.5 pounds. might use that instead of the rib roast. i am really leaning towards slicing it into two or three big thick 'filets' (though sized more like individual roasts really) and doing individual wellingtons. did it a year ago, and they were great

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I better self correct my typo before I get busted... the backstrap is the loin (on both sides of the spine) the tenderloins are inside the rib cavity under the spine.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • T-Que
    T-Que Posts: 44
    stike,
    Thanks to all for the resopnses. Stike, do you have the recipe for the Wellingtons you did last year. That sounds like the ticket. If you have it handy and can post or send it to me I would appriciate it.[p]Thx,
    T-Que

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    T-Que,
    i'll try. it might be archived.[p]decided tonight we'll do the wellington roast with lobster and oysters as a starter. i'm going to need the recipe anyway myself, so i'll post it if i can track it down.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • T-Que,[p]I sliced like a filet (1.25" thick) and used kosher salt and black pepper and grilled with the egg at 700 for 1.5 minutes per side then shut dampers for 6 minutes. It was very tender at med rare but not much fat for flavor seasoning is key with this cut.