Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken wings

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to do a batch of chicken wings on the egg tonight. Can someone provide me a recipe and techniques? We like em spicy. What temperature should I get the dome to, how long do they need to cook, do they need to be turned, if so how often?
I have cooked them many times on my Webber, but will be a first for my egg.
This forum has been of wealth of information for me. Thanks so much.
Butch M

Comments

• Ca_rnivore
    Options
    Butch McPherson,[p]ChefRD's wings are great! You can find them in the recipes section under poultry. Here's the link:

[ul][li]Wingo, Man![/ul]
  • Ca-rnivore,
    Thank you so much. Sound Great

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Butch McPherson,[p]I like to cover my wings with some type of simple cajun rub. Next, I like to grill direct between 300*-350* flipping every 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, I like to make a white roux and then add butter, your favorite hot sauce, garlic, vinegar, and sometimes an herb or two. Finally, to this I personally like to add some super hot sauce like a drop or two of Dave's Insanity to kick up the heat. I originally saw this sauce technique in a recipe on foodtv.com.[p]Anyway, simmer the sauce for 20 minutes or so then put it in a tupperware container. Add the wings to the container and toss them to coat them with sauce.[p]I've been doing wings like this now pretty consistently for the past year or so and I honestly think I like grilled wings with cajun seasonings and this buffalo wing sauce better than fried buffalo wings. I know that there are some that will not believe that statement, and I know it is hard to replace that crispy, greasy goodness of deep fried wings, but I've come to immensely enjoy them this way.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Damn, man, you're making my mouth water and I just finished lunch! LUnch was actually good, leftover BGE pulled pork enchiladas. Tasty stuff -- looks like wings on the egg for me tonight.[p]Oh, how do I make a white roux? I've made plenty of roux for gumbo and such, but never a white one....[p]Thanks![p]B~F

• Cornfed
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]All I do is basically melt the butter and saute the garlic for a few minutes then slowly add a couple tablespoons of flour and whisk together, stirring constantly to avoid lumps, for about 5 minutes. I'm usually so lazy with measurements that I sometimes end up with too thick or too thin a mixture and I end up either adding more butter or flour to correct. I can't remember the original amounts from the foodtv recipe...[p]Wings = good,
    Cornfed

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Close enough for me to figure out. Many thanks!

• Cornfed,
    I agree with you, for years I have cooked my wings on the grill, and they came out crispy and juicy. I can wait to try on the egg, Thank you for the help.
    Butch M

• Cornfed, equal amounts of butter and flour . reg

• Cornfed
    Options
    reg,[p]Many thanks![p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed,
    Would olive oil work just as well?

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I like to do them with Frank's hot sauce and butter. I just follow the directions on the bottle, but grill them instead of deep frying or baking them. I usually rub the wings with a little salt and pepper, grill them, and coat them with the hot sauce/buttermixture (after taking them off the grill).
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Butch McPherson,[p]I dunno. By definition, though, a roux is flour and butter. Here's an excerpt from Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking."[p]"In French cooking, the flour and butter, which act as a thickening agent for the sauce, are always cooked slowly together for several minutes before and liquid is added. This is called a roux. The cooking eliminates that raw, pasty taste uncooked flour will give to a sauce, and also prepares the flour particles to absorb the liquid. The thickness of the sauce is in direct relation to the proportion of flour you use per cup of liquid."[p]Hope this helps,
    Cornfed

• Butch McPherson,[p]Start out simple.[p]Nice dry wings on the outside.
    Maybe a few hickory chips on the lump.[p]Coat wings with things like:
    Ancho powder, dried pepper flakes, black pepper,
    cumin, garlic powder, or whatever you like.[p]Let set for a while.[p]Cook at 250F for 1 hour.
    Turn every 10 to 15 minutes.
    Brush with a hot sauce/butter combination
    everytime you turn the wings,[p]Enjoy, but be sure you make enough.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Patrick in GA,
    That is a great way to do them. Though I thoroughly enjoy ChefRD's breaded recipe, for simplicity I will often throw on some of my favorite rub, and cook exactly as you describe. 250 for about an hour, flipping and moving around every 10-15. With the flipping, though, the fire will start getting pretty hot, so sometimes I'll close the bottom vent completely for the last 20 minutes or so to keep it under 300.[p]Great weekend, and brews to you.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Lazy way

If you have to bring food to a carry in and want to cook quick and easy here is a recipe I use that you can cook a batch of wings for fifty in nifty.

Get packages of pre cut wings
    Make terriaki sauce, soy sauce, sugar, white wine. Put a bunch of garlic and lot of fresh ginger in mini food processor and through in with this. Place in a big pot and bring almost to boil and then take off heat and this can sit for hours.

The wings are pretty much cooked but have soggy skin. Fire up grill and throw wings on for a few minutes to finish cooking and crisp skin. Wings this style can be quite good cold or room temp.