Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Pork Loin

Freddie
Freddie Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone point me to a great stuffed pork loin recipe? I have a dinner party this Saturday and I'd like to impress.[p]Also, what kind of cooking time am I lookin at?[p]Thanks,
Freddie

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Freddie, Mr Toad's stuffed pork loins are legendary. Here is one of his first and still a favorite. Pork loins do not take that long to cook. I'd plan on no more than 15 minutes a pound. Cook to temp but don't overcook. 155 is plenty.

[ul][li]Mr Toad's Stuffed Pork Loin[/ul]
  • mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Freddie,[p]I've done this recipe twice for parties and everyone loved it. It was amazing.[p]-Jill[p]Big'un's Triple Threat
    Bacon wrapped pork loin stuffed with apple sausage
    Ingredients
    1 pork loin
    1 lb bacon for every half loin(typically)
    cooking twine (no not wine, although...)
    1 lb roll of Jimmy Dean Sausage
    3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    1/4 cup white wine (I like chablis)
    1 small onion
    1 large apple cored and diced
    2 Tbs favorite rub + extra for seasoning
    Preparation
    Take out loin and typically they are already cut into two pieces. Each piece is considered
    by me to be one loin. Cut away any fat or silver skin. The toughest part of this cook is the
    prep. I use a tool I made to cut a hole in the loin for stuffing. You can achieve the same
    effect could by merely slicing 2/3rds into the loin to allow for the sausage stuffing.
    After prepping the loin return it to the refrigerator.
    Mix the last six ingredients (and any extras) in a bowl. Stuff the loin with sausage and
    return to refrigerator.
    Get out the bacon and separate it. You'll see later that this expedites the wrapping
    process.
    Cut the twine in large enough pieces to tie the loin. Lay them out on your prep board,
    spacing them about two inches apart.
    Sprinkle the rub on the outside of loin and lay it on the front third of the twine.
    Start to wrap the bacon lengthwise, slightly overlapping each
    piece of bacon. After you have wrapped all you can, use the twine to help rotate the loin
    leaving the bacon intact. Cover the rest of the loin with bacon, and tie snuggly.
    Cooking
    Cook at 325° F dome, indirect, platesetter legs up, drip pan underneath grate.
    Remove the roast at 140° F internal. Tent with foil and let rest.
    Enjoy! Juicy and a great presentation .

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    mojopin,
    Here's a pic to give you an idea of what a Triple Threat looks like. Enjoy[p]DSCI0021-1.jpg

• Freddie,[p]Here's a recipe I follow, but change stuffings every time I cook -- just two weeks ago cooked 12 pork loins [roulades] for 150 -- extremely successful cook![p]EGG: Stuffed Pork Roast[p] Ingredients:
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
    • 8 fresh sage leaves
    • 2 C thick-cut white bread cubes, crusts removed, or
    • ½ C rice + ½ C wild rice
    • 1 egg, beaten
    • 2 T butter
    • Salt and pepper
    • 1/2 C chicken or pork broth, plus more if needed
    • 1 -- pork loin roast, butterflied [spiral cut][p]Directions:[p][A] Prepare the pork loin the evening before.[p]Spiral cut the loin, rolling it open like a scroll
    Score the inside into diamond cuts, ca. ¼” deep
    Season & rub the inside of the loin
    Spread the filling [recipe follows] ca. ½” deep onto the loin.
    Roll & tie the pork with butcher's twine.
    Season and liberally apply rub [I use a version of DrBBQ's rub, posted on his website]
    Wrap the loin in plastic and refridgerate 12+ hours.[p] The filling can be prepared in advance.[p]Precook rice [if using rice] in broth.
    Sautee onion, apples and sage until softened in OO
    Remove from heat and gently stir in the bread [rice], egg, butter, S/P
    Add more broth gradually until everything is moistened.
    Cool mixture completely before putting it in the pork loin. [p]Stabilize the Egg to 375F.
    Sear the roast on all sides on stovetop or in the Egg [I ramp the temps and use the Egg].
    Roast indirect over drip pan w/apple cider until internal temp reaches 140F. Pull, and double wrap in HDFoil and towels. Place in cooler to rest for up to an hour before serving.

Sauce:[p]• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground cloves
    • Handful of dried apricot halves + pitted prunes
    • 1 C apple cider or juice
    • 1 T cornstarch[p]Over stove, caramelize pork scraps. Deglaze w/cider. Thicken w/ cornstarch and water, then bring to a boil & stir. Optional: Add in sautéed/softened apple bits [p]