Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Standing Rib Roast

Has anybody tried a standing rib roast on the egg? If so, could you please give me some suggestions. I'm going to do one for Christmas and would like to hear of others experiences.
·

Comments

• Martini Man,
    Go to the Naked WHiz site and look for Mad Max Prime Rib in the recipes section.

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm[/ul]
    ·
  • Martini Man,
    I too will do a 5 bone roast. Going to put my own rub on the roast after sear, (garlic and horseradish paste with some herbs not decided on yet. I promise when it is cut, red will run. [p]MC Jerry

·
  • vinnysprimerib-020.jpg
    <p />Martini Man,
    i was the first person to try it.[p]here's a shot of the standing, standing rib roasts.......[p]sorry, couldn't help myself

·
  • Martini Man,
    Did a 5 pounder last night. Turned out very nice. Tried an alternative method, in that I seared it in the end. Worked fine, other than the butchers twine burned on me, and it wanted to fall apart a bit... no accidents though. [p]I made a wet rub/paste with olive oil, lotsa fresh garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, oregano, rosemary, parsley, chopped onions, and spread this on the roast. I have a mini food processor I use. Then I mixed up some yellow mustard and Pickapeppa sauce and brushed that on. [p]The roast had sat 3 days in a glass dish in the refrig, covered with a napkin, drying. It was cold (should have been room temp) when I started prepping it. It only had about an hour on the counter with the rub on it before it hit the grill. [p]Cooking time should be about 30 minutes per pound at 250°. I cooked it indirect in a preheated egg, in a pan that had a bit of red wine, water, onions, garlic, rosemary, and a little celery in it. I didn't use any smoking woods, as my wife can't deal with the smoke... too bad.[p]When it hit 125°, I took it out of the egg and sealed it with foil, in the pan, while I cranked up the egg to sear it. When the egg was hot enough, I seared it nicely on all sides, then back into the sealed pan to rest.[p]The end product worked. The internal temp was right on 135° with the Termapen, nice red/pink color, nice crust... and I have leftovers for tonight![p]Mike in MN

·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Glad to see someone finally tried to cook a standing rib roast on an egg......who knows what may be next....burgers, steaks, maybe even salmon...there's a whole world out there for us to "RE" discover..[p]Wess

·