Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to Cook Spare Ribs on a Large BGE

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to know the Best way to sLow cook at what Temp and how long to cook Spare ribs. I plan on cooking two Whole slabs.

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Tom,[p]This is how I like to do them.

[ul][li]Ribs[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Tom,
    First of all welcome.[p]How to cook spare ribs is a religious discussion. That being said, the link below provides a good method of cooking spare ribs. In the Recipe Section, JSlot has provided his method as well. We have Tim M and GFW who have outlined with pictures their methods for cooking ribs on their personal websites. Hopefully, some one will post the links.[p]I personally roll mine up and grill the direct at 225 for about 5 hours. The important thing is to remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. I usually use just a dry rub and add sauce only at the table.[p]Cats’s Baby Back ribs are something not to be missed, as well as NatureBoy’s Ginger Mahogany Ribs.[p]The fun is trying all the methods until you find the method that you like best.[p]The most important point is to never boil the ribs.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Great advice given here and lets not forget experimentation of untraveled waters to come up with even more ways we can all enjoy.[p]There is nothing I like better than ribs....now you got my juices running. Off to the supermarket I go.
  • Ca_rnivore
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I've heard of rolling the ribs before. I suppose that they're tied with butchers string or something. Do they get rolled with the membrane side in or out? I guess that this'd be a good way to stand the ribs if you ain't got a rib rack.[p]-Kevin
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Ca-rnivore,
    I use about six soaked bamboo skewers to hold mine in a roll. The removed membrane side is inside. Keep in mind that this is not a tight roll, just rolled enough to bring the ends together. Baby backs roll easier than spares. When rolling spares, make sure that you have the butcher saw or crack the bone in the fat end of the ribs or it will not roll right. [p]The neat thing about this method is that on a small BGE you can fit two racks of ribs or one rack on a mini. Also, the ribs are close to dome and get radiant heat from it so the ribs cook evenly without flipping them. Literally, after you put the ribs on the BGE the next time that you open the BGE is to take them off.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Ca_rnivore
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Thanks for the info. I'll give this a try next time I do ribs. This method seems like a space saver. I should be able to get at least6 racks in the egg. Maybe more if I stack them on top of each other.[p]Thanks again,
    Kevin

• Tom
    Options
    Everyone,
    Thank you so MUCH for all the Great information. I will Take some pictures and Let you know how it turns out. I am doing these for the Superbowl.

• Tom
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p] At what Temp and for how long do I leave them on with the skewer Method you talked about? If I want to put Sauce on them at the end how long do I do this for and at that point do they go to Direct grilling. I am going to do indirect with a Pizza Stone with Dip pan then a raised Rack with 2 fire stones.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    JimW,
    The link is pork0214.htm in the new recipes section of this forum: Title - Pork Loin Back Ribs

• Kevin D
    Kevin D Posts: 60
    Options
    JimW,[p]You just need to put a title in the Link Title line and the link will show up. (fingers crossed)[p]Kevin
    [ul][li]This way to the Pork[/ul]