Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I break it in or give it to him new???

Marv
Marv Posts: 177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just couldn't stand the fact that my son has been trying (and getting discouraged) to do awesome bbq on a Brinkman water smoker. I am sorry but the thing just does not hold the heat there fore to hard to keep the temp at proper level.
So his birthday being March 3, I went ahead and bought him a new BGE. It is sitting in my garage waiting for me to deliver it to him on his birthday. He lives about 100 miles from me.
I have asked his mom and other immediate relatives if they would like to share in the cost, after all they all get to share in the eats because they live close to him. Haven't heard from them as of yet, but either way he will have a new BGE to cook on.
I might not be able to wait for his birthday to give it to him, I am so excited to start him on a new experience in cooking.[p]Marv

[ul][li][url=http://http:www.marvsbbq.comm]Marv's Marvlus Pit Bar-B-Q[/url][/ul]

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Marv,
    I understand where you're coming from but Hold back, man.
    I vote to let him do it all himself.
    Nothing like the first time crank up in a pristine egg.
    Kinda like the 'birds and the bees', you can tell him what its all about but he's gotta walk thru that door all by himself. :~)
    What size did you get him?
    By the way, Awesome present!
    WD

• Marv
    WooDoggies, That is a good way to put it. I got him the large just like mine.
    I could always tell him that I am loaning it to him. That way if he doesn't use it I can take it back.......Naa.....I KNOW he will use it and love it as I do mine.[p]Marv

• Marv,[p]You are one nice daddy ! Wait for his birthday.. I would :)[p]I started smoking with a Brinkman water smoker ... used it 5 times and trashed it... kept destroying food and it was just too difficult. The temp gauge on that thing is another problem. I believe it reads ' cold - perfect - hot' or something like that. [p]It reminded me of a $10.00 guitar.... shure... some people can play a good tune on it.... but very few ! [p]I know your son is going to love that BGE... good going ![p]Happy Egging... BB

• Marv
    BB,
    Thanks for the support, I will wait.[p]Marv

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Marv,[p]I'm not much into waiting for the official day on almost anything. Got the family a cool digital camera for Christmas in late November...if I had waited, we wouldn't have all the pictures I took throughout the month of December.[p]To kinda compromise, I'd think a BBQ at Dad's place would be cool, in which the 2 BGE's were used for the meal...then at then end of it, let him know, "BTW, that one on the right is yours...you can take it home with you."[p]--sdb
  • Marv
    sdbelt,
    I shared your idea with my wife and we 100% think that is an absolutely, most wonderful idea and that is exatly what I am going to do.[p]THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!![p]Marv

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Marv ,
    Please be sure to teach him about the flash backs and to recheck the band bolts after a few cooks. Like the others have said, a great gift, you should feel proud.
    new Bob

• Marv
    New Bob,
    Thanks for reminding me, I will write a note and put in the BGE right now. That way he will have it.[p]Marv

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Marv,[p]Wow! Glad I could help. You are definitely welcome. I'm sure your son will be quite happy as well.[p]--sdb