Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why bleeding drumsticks ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just noted this the other day whilst experimenting with some drumsticks cooking at 200 deg. indirect on the grill using an inverted plate setter. After about an hour upon inspection I noted blood coming from them on the cut end ... maybe from the bone ? Not exactly shure... anyway I never noticed this ever happening before and was wondering what I had observed taking place. [p]I am thinking that I just never noticed it as I always cook them direct and at higher temperatures. They came out fine although I increased the temp to 350 as the blood sort of freaked me out. [p]Any ideas as to why the blood anyone ? [p]Happy Egging.... BB

Comments

• BB, yes,, that's chicken blood. :D[p]Sorry,, I have to be silly now and then. It probably is due to the slow heating allowing the blood to escape before the outer meat is healed over, like when higher heat is used initially. Indirect cooking is great for legs and thighs. It allows you to get them done to your taste without putting the black crust on them. Chicken legs are good aren't they. I like them better than wings. You got to get them done though. I'm all pigged out, so I may pick up a big pack of legs for the weekend.

• K.O.C.,[p]That's OK :) I expected a little razzing on this one ... but it sort of freaked me out as they were on there for an hour and most every drumstick had this blood coming out the cut end. I have never seen this before :)[p]I have never done slow and low legs and thought this was just an interesting phenominon. I think I could have cooked them at 200 deg. for three hours. I wonder now how they would have finished up had I let them continue on.[p]Happy Egging ... BB [p]
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    BB,
    I always cook chicken @200-225 on my catering rig using the indirect method. I think what may have happened in your case, (correct me if I'm wrong) the end knuckle may have been cut druing processing and exposed the bone marrow which will leak (wick) out during cooking. This is natural and will not harm you if fully cooked to an internal temp of 170 in the meat.

[ul][li][url=http://http:www.marvsbbq.com]Marv's Marvlus Pit Bar-B-Q[/url][/ul]
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    BB,
    Did you buy your drums frozen (or "previously frozen")? When you freeze chicken, the blood tends to pool at the bone, and when you thaw it, the blood flows out. 2 solutions: buy only fresh chicken, or, soak in 2 Tbsp. non-iodized (aka kosher, pickling and canning, or, sea salt) to 1 gallon water. After 30 minutes, rinse thoroughly, drain and pat dry. This technique is sometimes called "koshering." (The "dead giveaway" to frozen chicken is a red bone, no matter what you do to it.)

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    BB, I guese I for got to say how long I cooked my chickens. I cook them for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until 170 internal temp[p]Marv

• BlueSmoke,[p]I bet that was the case because there were ice crystals on the checken when I removed it from the styro pack. [p]Hay, I learned something ! So red boned chicken = frozen no matter what. The bones where red now that you mention it. [p]I am going to try again cooking at 200 deg. and see how long it takes to get to 170 internal. I like my chicken to fall off the bone ... but not be dry... and I think this is the path to follow for that type of meat. [p]Thanks for the info. Happy Egging. BB

• Marv,[p]Yes I believe that was it... coupled with the pooling of the blood from being frozen.... I had red bones :) [p]Hay, I almost didn't want to post this question because I thought it was 'kinda silly' but I learned a lot for asking. [p]Thanks .... Happy Egging.. BB