Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food/meat slicers

BajaTom
BajaTom Posts: 1,269
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this has been discussed many times. I checked the archives but only got one small discussion in 05. Please give some feedback on your slicers. Thanks, Tom

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Bajatom,
    Mine is made by Krups and it is crap. It slices fine but is impossible to clean. -RP

• Bajatom,
    Despite what AZRP says, I also have a Krups, this one at the link below, and cleaning it is a breeze.[p]1. You unscrew the blade with a quarter. Save the screw in a nice safe place.
    2. Carefully wash blade, very sharp.
    3. Remove the housing around where the blade sits, and is the slice size adjuster, wash.
    4. You will have removed the meat-grabber/hand shield platform (removes with a switch-like toggle) and you can wash that.
    5. Using a soapy rag, wash around the rest of the unit and rinse by hand and dry.
    Reassemble.[p]There is a tendency to rush the meat down the slicer. You have to let the blade do the work, esp. near the end of the slice. Cool meat or cold slices much thinner.

[ul][li]Krups Slicer[/ul]
  • AZRP
    dover_gal,
    That doesn't look anything like mine, do you want to trade? -RP

• AZRP,
    Nope, but it worth getting one--they are only about $40 and they work like a charm. My mom and I have used these for years and years.

• Bajatom,
    I think Jay has a Chefs Choice 610 he is happy with.[p]Mike

• AZRP
    dover_gal,
    Mine looks like this one, and its the only one they show on their website. The blade removes but other than the sliding tray nothing else comes apart. -RP

[ul][li]Krups[/ul]
  • dover_gal,
    I have had this exact same slicer for about 8 years and paid much more than $40.00 orginally for it. No, it's not a Hobart, but I don't run a deli out of my kitchen. For what I use it for it's a fine machine. My only complaints would be:
    1) Blade is a little small for larger items
    2) You almost need three hands to run this thing, but it is very safe.
    3) No meat tray for the slices to fall onto, you must use a small plate which always seems to want to slide away.[p] For a portable model it's great, if you have the counter room and need a full-size slicer, you may want to look at something else. By the way it's not really that hard to clean, just time consuming, kind of makes you think twice before getting it out.[p]

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Bajatom,
    i have chefs choice 610 about $100 from amazon. [i got free shipping] i slice a turkey breast weekly for lunch meat and i made a patrami a while back. i bought the ham blade as well. works great for the price. i do not need the $$$ model

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    JET,
    We had that same one too, and your points about the three hands and the plate sliding away brings back memories. Ours was totally vaporized in the fire, though we did find the blade under the rubble! We'll be looking into a new one, and I think maybe something a tad bigger without going nuts. I'll be watchin this thread!
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bajatom,
    check cabela's they have nice slicer...

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    slicer.jpg
    <p />Bajatom,
    Here`s what we use, and enjoy very much...But as Randy said, no slicer is any fun to clean...try cleaning this pig every week or 2..certainly not cheap, but what we needed at the time...And as Ranger Ray said...Cabelas sells some good quality stuff, that they fully stand behind...[p]Wess

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Bajatom,[p]I have the chef's choice 632 with the serrated and straight blades. Works like a champ and really isn't too hard to clean. The slider comes off and the blade removes easily.
  • JDub
    JDub Posts: 23
    Bajatom,[p]I've never been disappointed with the results of a very sharp carving knife - very easy to clean and you can cut as thick or thin as you please. Unless you operate a deli, why would you need one of these?
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    JDub,
    Pit beef is just ONE of the many reasons to have a slicer...certainly not a mandatory appliance for everyday kitchens...I can slice american cheese so thin you can see through it...all in your values I spose..I will never be without one at this point in life..[p]Wess

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    WessB,
    yea i gotta love that Pit Beef
    101_0353.jpg[p]iam going to do a batch on christmas eve for my dad's get together at his house. along with a fatty or two.[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• dover_gal,
    That Krup slicer looks just like one I got from Harbor Freight about a week ago for ,I believe $20,maybe $25.Works great and no more trouble to clean up than a food processor.

• JDub
    JDub Posts: 23
    BENTE,[p]Okay, I'm looking for a little help here. What does the slicer do that a sharp carving knife won't?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    JDub,[p]Easy answer. Very thin, uniform slices.