Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking goose in pieces?

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, All,[p]I've been considering doing goose for Christmas. However, I have medium Eggs, and the geese at the market look longer than the 15" that will fit in a medium. So I was wondering if goose could be done split into a front and back half, or even as parts, like chicken. I suppose the fat would render much more quickly, but don't know if that would let the meat get dry. Haven't found much in the way of goose part recipes, just whole roast.[p]Any ideas or experiences much appreciated.[p]gdenby

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    gdenby,
    i wouldnt worry about goose getting dry, ive only cooked one store bought goose, and i can tell you there is more grease in there than you can imagine. i cooked it in an old water smoker and it left a puddle on my dads new deck many years ago. i bet that stain is still there.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Most recipes say to prick the skin all-over, but to avoid jabbing thru to the meat. It occurs to me that the recommendation is not to keep the moisture in the meat, but to keep the fat out.[p]And, yes, store bought are really fatty. The last time I tried goose, maybe 15 years ago, the pan was so full of grease that it slopped into the oven as I was removing the bird. Had a major fire going for a minute or so, enough to clear the house. That's one reason I hope to fit it into the Egg outside.[p]gdenby

• Dover_Gal
    Options
    gdenby,
    Most roast goose in Germany is done in quarters (Gänsekeulen) mostly the leg and thigh. They moist cook it. I think it could be done on the Egg as indirect. Whole birds are roasted. They may be less fatty than ours? [p]Whole goose is served almost always at Christmas, in fact it's what you find more often than any other dish:[p]Christmas Goose (Duck)[p]Ingredients:
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*[p]1 big-size bird (usual bird for German Christmas - goose or duck)
    150 g liver
    150 g sausage meat
    90 g breadcrumbs
    1 tbsp. chopped parsley, sage and mint
    2 eggs
    60 g walnuts
    90 g raisins and sultanas
    120 g diced apples
    30 g flour[p]Cooking:
    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*[p]Get the bird ready for stuffing. Blend minced liver and sausage meat with crumbs, flour and beaten eggs. Then add fruits and nuts with seasoning. Stuff the bird and put it into the oven. Bake for about 1 hour.

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    gdenby,
    I have cooked whole duck (spatchcocked) and wild goose breast pieces, so I do not see any reason you could cut one up and cook it successfully.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    gdenby,
    if you do it, make sure to post the results, my one time expirement didnt go over as well as i thought it would, ive only cooked duck since, still a little grease, but nothing like goose.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    Options
    dover_gal,[p]Its good to hear that the Germans do quarters. Not as nice a presentation as a whole, but if the meat tastes as good, its close enough.[p]gdenby

• JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    gdenby,
    Any receipes and technique for cooking goose breasts? I have two in the freezer I was given and have no idea how to prepare them.[p]Thanks.