Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

16 hours and 2 re-lights later...

Beanie-BeanBeanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited 3:37AM in EggHead Forum
Whew! That was a long cook. Started around 1AM this morning, with 15 lbs of pork butt, one was bigger than the other. so we'll just say a 7 and an 8 pounder. That one took all of 16 hrs to get to 195 deg. 30 minutes in the foil, and the first one was demolished shortly after it was pulled. The next was one pulled and put in the fridge.[p]Notes from this cook:[p]1. Inverted cast iron grate on the bottom worked like a champ--no stuck pieces this time, and lots of little piles of ash beneath the grate holes.[p]2. First stir/re-light this morning around 8AM when the dome temp was indicating 200 deg. Not too much ash inside the cooker, and a lot of unlit lump. A quick stir, and a few seconds of MAPP torch treatment got everything going again. Meanwhile, the roasts were sitting tight in the old gasser.[p]3. Second stir/re-light happened during the fourth quarter of the games this afternoon. Again, the temp dropped from a rock-solid 250 to 200.[p]4. I thought that the thermometers broke, because the plateau took forever. I don't think that it was until after 3:30 or so that the temps started going back up.[p]5. Pulled the butts at 16:40 and 17:00 after they hit 195.[p]6. Not much charcoal left in the cooker after about 17 hours, and I only filled it up just past the holes in the firebox. Didn't go as far as I did last time, which was a bit into the fire ring area.[p]7. New sauce for the pulled pork today: Sticky Fingers Carolina style. Really good mustard-based sauce, and it worked well with the generic buns I paired with the meat.[p]Much better experience this time than last time...I think I started too early on the cook last time, which resulted in more night-time hours of tending vs. the middle-of-the-night start time.[p]DigiQ II and maybe a Turbograte for the next egg tools. Gotta love that MAPP torch, though--that thing will light the lump quicker than you-know-what.[p]Sorry to hear about all the snow changing everyone's egging plans this weekend.[p]-Mike[p]


  • Beanie-Bean,[p]Congrats on your cook![p]I don't let ice and snow slow me down... The neighbors all look out their windows, smile, then open the windows for a quick sniff![p]Of course they all know I'm crazy. You know, a variation on "mad dogs and Englishmen..."[p]:)[p]~ B[p]
  • Beanie-Bean,
    I'm curious... why don't you fill that puppy up to the top? I fill mine right up to the top of the fire ring, and force the lump into every crack and crevice. I jiggle the lump around and stuff small pieces anywhere I can. It's a dirty job, but... I've never had any problems with running out on the long cooks, and I have gone considerably longer. My plate setter protects the meat, so it isn't a problem with the heat so high in the egg.[p]My 2 cents worth.[p]Mike in MN

Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.