Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuna steaks

Options
Don
Don Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a recipe, techniques for grilling tuna steaks?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    TunaSteak.jpg
    <p />Don,[p]Oh yea. I like to rub with sesame oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds and black pepper and a touch of DP Tsunami Spin, then sear at 700* for 90 seconds per side. This will make them quite rare - but quite good. Tuna is meant to be eaten rare.[p]
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    Fidel,
    I do it pretty much the same way except I rub with
    EVOO and generously coat with sesame seeds. I think I put some black pepper on it too (haven't made it in awhile)

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Fidel,
    what you said. + if presentation is important mix black and white sesame seeds or put black on one side and white on the other. i slice before plating and pipe a thin ribbon of wasabi mayo on top [in a decorative pattern]
    and a little ponzu {soy/citrus] for dipping.

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    PICT1991-2.jpg
    <p />Don,
    I like to put a little Sesame Oil on the steaks and then give them a coating of a nice Cajun rub. I get my cast iron pan real good and hot and then just a quick sear on both sides and then it's ready to eat!!!

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    DSC00071cr.jpg
    <p />Don,
    You can see this one in the "cooks" section of my website.....[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB's[/ul]
  • Michael B
    Options
    Don,[p]Tuna steaks
    from Weber's recipe list.[p]Marinade:
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    6 tablespoons Asian-style sesame oil
    6 tablespoons rice vinegar
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1 & 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 crushed Thai, Hunan, or other tiny hot red chile[p]4 tuna steaks, each about 1 inch thick[p]1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt. (Do not use regular table salt!)[p]**********[p]1. Heat up a cast iron skillet. HOT![p]2. While the skillet is heating up, Place tuna steaks in non-reactive dish and pour the marinade over the tuna. (Do not use an aluminum pan) Allow steaks to sit in the marinade at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.[p]3. Stabilize Egg at about 200 degrees grate.[p]4. Sprinkle cast iron skillet with kosher salt. Drain the steaks and sear about 1 minute on both sides.[p]5. Transfer the steaks to the Egg and cook to desired doneness, 20 to 25 minutes for medium-rare. Avoid over cooking.[p]
    **********[p]Sauce:
    1 cup hoisin sauce
    1/2 cup rice vinegar
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons minced ginger
    1 teaspoon ground anise
    2 garlic cloves garlic, minced[p]1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and warm them over low heat for about 10 minutes.[p]2. Serve the sauce hot or at room temperature. It keeps, refrigerated, for several weeks.[p]Serving suggestion: You can thin the sauce with a little water and use it in a stir-fry with broccoli, scallions, red bell peppers, and sliced water chestnuts.

• Don
    Don Posts: 3
    Options
    Fidel,awesome! Looks so tasty. I like everything rare so this is perfect. Do you close the lid while searing or leave it open?

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Fidel,[p]Wow! That looks mighty good, my friend. Will the rarest point inside get warm at 90 + 90? I gotta try that.

• Fidel
    Options
    Don,[p]I left it open to sear. This prevents it from roasting at all and keeps the inside nice and rare.
  • Fidel
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,[p]No it will not get warm. I buy it at the market, take it home, and cook it. It is not refrigerated from the time of purchase until it hits the flame, so it is not really "cold" in the middle, but definitely not hot either.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Don,[p]We just made tuna confit and it was great:
    tuna confit.[p]We've had it in sandwiches and on top of salad. Sure beats anything in a can. I wouldn't waste sushi grade tuna on this, but if you can get a deal (we got it at Costco) it's well worth it. [p]Dave[p]

[ul][li]Our BGE[/ul]
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.