Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fresh pork leg

T-QueT-Que Posts: 42
edited 5:10PM in EggHead Forum
It's experimentation time.... I just bought a Fresh Bone in pork leg. I assume is a Ham that has not been smoked. My plan was to do it low and slow like a Boston Butt. Rub it down with a dry rub and let cook for 15+ hours. But before I removed it from the Cryo-pack I thought I would see if I am on the right track. Should I handle this like a Butt or is this a piece of meat I should brine or soak in a cure first? It has a good layer of fat all the way around it so I would assume it will be self basting, but I'm not sure does this leg need to be basted during the cook.
Thoughts? ideas? experience?[p]Thanks in advance,
T-Que

·

Comments

• SundownSundown Posts: 2,913
    T-Que,[p]We're going to need to know if it's a shoulder or a fresh ham before we can answer easily.
    ·
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    IMG_4878.jpg
    <p />T-Que,
    Does the leg look like this?
    This is a front leg, not the ham.

·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    ClayQ,[p]That looks more like a picnic and a butt than a front leg.[p]Wheeeee
    ·
    IMG_4880.jpg
    <p />Fidel,
    Actually part of the butt is trimmed off. I like that part, wish it was attached, heeeeee.

IMG_4886.jpg

·
  • T-QueT-Que Posts: 42
    ClayQ,
    Thanks for the replies. I had no idea the procedure would be different for the different cuts so close together. I can take a picture of it and post so it can be identified. What is the best/easiest way to post a picture to the forum?
    Thx,
    T-Que

·
  • T-Que,
    Upload photos to a Photobucket account (free). Copy the
    Direct link and paste it in the Optional image URL block on the forum. Or copy the HTML code and paste into the Comments block.[p]Mike

·
    Mike in Abita,
    OK, it took me some time to get back with digital picture in hand and get a Photobucket account but here it is. The pork leg I bought is still in Cryo-pack so this is the best picture I could get. Will this work to tell you what I have and the best way to prepare this 18+lb beast?
    FreshPorkButt1.jpg[p]FreshPorkButt3.jpg
    Thanks in advance for the assistance.
    T-Que

·
    T-Que,
    Looks like a ham. I'd brine it four days before smoking.
    I like the low salt brine ratio of; 1 cup Kosher salt to 1 gallon water. Also add to each gallon a cup of brown sugar, 1 clove crushed garlic, 2 teaspoons cracked pepper, cup of chopped onion, 3 bay leaves. I think 2 gallons of brine will cover the ham.
    I haven't cooked a fresh ham so I can't help with details.
    Check around for recipes and see what sounds good to you. Brining helps to keep the meat juicy and tender. Good luck and have fun.

·
    Sundown,[p]Can you take a look at my last post. I put some pics in it showing what cut of pork it is. Its label says "Fresh Bone in Pork Leg". The concensus is it's a fresh ham. About 18.5lbs bone in. ClayQ suggested brining for 4 days but has not done one so no further instructions. Any help is appriciated.
    I was also thinking about reposting it with pics. It is buried as you know under 2 days of posts.[p]Thx in advance for your help.
    T-Que

·