Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice regarding Trex method on steaks......

Options
GenesGrill
GenesGrill Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
last night I did a 1 1/2" thick filet mignon on my medium egg using the Trex method. Got the temps to 700, did both sides for two minutes (steak was at room temp when put on the egg)....removed steak...waited twenty minutes at which time the egg was down to 400..put steak back on egg for four minutes on each side. When I got ready to eat it (was trying to get a medium rare steak) it was blood red in the center. What did I do wrong and how do I correct this next time?? THanks!

Comments

• Hugh Jass
    Options
    GenesGrill,
    Sounds about perfect to me.[p]Try more time if it's not done enough for you.[p]Hugh
    Sheeeshhh

• GenesGrill,
    Instant read thermometer might help.

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    GenesGrill,
    Next time use a thermopen or other device to check your temp before pulling. Since every piece of meat is different, you need to cook and pull by temp, not time. I'm sure this will ensure your cooks turn out great from now on!

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    GenesGrill,[p]If you got a nice sear, then obviously you didn't 'roast' the steak long enough.[p]Use a thermometer to check inside temps or learn how to touch (softness/hardness) when pressing on the steak to judge the doneness.[p]As said several times below, an instant read thermometer will resolve your problems.[p]The length of time to 'roast/cook' is going to depend on how thick your steak is.[p]Thinner steaks I can sear only and they come out med rare.[p]Kent
  • GenesGrill
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    I don't have a thermopen so I guess next time I'll just leave the steak on the egg a little longer at the end...

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    GenesGrill,[p]Go search google or foodtv (food network) there is a video or at least an explination, from I think it is Bobby Flay, that shows how to tell the doneness of a steak by feeling the fleshy part of hand between the thumb and index finger.[p]It will get you close to where you want to be.[p]I ended up getting a ThermoPen after a long time of trying not to spend that much money for a thermometer.[p]Like the rest of the folks, I think it is worth the expense. Once one goes through some experiences of under cooking or over cooking it is a good investment.[p]Kent
  • Beerco
    Beerco Posts: 25
    Options
    Hugh Jass,[p]I know it's probably not the case, but you're not the Hugh that used to hang out on the LA forum back in '02 are you?
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    GenesGrill,[p]That would be a total of 8 minutes, if I added correctly. For a 1-1/2 inch filet, I would go total of about 10 minutes. (2+2+6) or (90sec. + 90sec. + 7 min.) But the thermopen will nail it exactly until you get the thickness/cook time down pat. Aren't you glad you erred on the side of under-done instead of over-done. Bet you finished them just about perfectly.

• GenesGrill,
    Better put it on the list for Santa.
    Only if you have been good this year..:)

• Mike in MN
    Options
    GenesGrill,
    Steaks are a "feel" thing for some of us. I like to push on the steak and "feel" the firmness. When you throw them on they are soft and mushy... as they cook, they firm up. Leave them on long enough, and they will be rock hard and no good. The way my mother in law wants it.[p]Get the feel down and you won't need a timer or a Thermapen poking unnecessary holes in the meat.[p]Mike in MN