Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prime roast

jwirlwindjwirlwind Posts: 319
edited 4:38PM in EggHead Forum
How bout a survey on searing roast. Who does sear first or reverse. [p]MC Jerry
·

Comments

• Jwirlwind,[p]I do!
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Jwirlwind,[p]I sear at the beginning.
    ·
  • WessBWessB Posts: 6,937
    Jwirlwind,
    Have done both...no real preference to one or the other...guess it's just what I feel like that day...[p]Wess

·
  • BozzyBozzy Posts: 27
    Jwirlwind,[p]I sear first. I believe that the sear creates a barrier to keep moisture IN the roast. I don't recall, but Alton Brown goes off about the maliard reaction that happens during browning and searing....however that might have nothing to do with the searing keeping the moisture IN the meat.[p]boz.
    ·
  • Jwirlwind, I sear first, in a roasting mode, rather than on the cooking surface while turning. Easier in MHO and less chance of screwing things up at the end (when I'm apt to be roasted or toasted, too)![p]Rascal

·
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Jwirlwind,[p]End sear for me, unless I cook them raised direct which usually doesn't need a sear.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    ·
  • ChrisCChrisC Posts: 107
    Jwirlwind,[p]
    End sear for me - my exper. has been that I get a more uniform med rare for a larger area of the roast. It seems when I sear at the beginning I heat up the outer portion of the meat so that it is already at a higher temp and continues to cook a little ahead. For me that ends up w. an inch of "grayer" or more well done meat.[p]With a quick end sear I get the color and finish that I want without the more finished ring.[p]Sorry if that does not make sense.[p]-ChrisC[p]

·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,358
    Guess I misplaced my 'handle'. I love prime rib roasts but sometimes get meat that tastes more like NY strip than a rib eye cut. Someone here(?) recently said that the best standing roasts come from the 11-14 ribs? If so, is this because of the meat/fat ratio, or rather the consistancy of that part of the rack. Any butchers out there care to comment?[p]Rascal

·
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    ChrisC,
    I agree, but also like the end sear, because it is easier to raise the temp than to lower it. [p]I lile to use my Guru and do the initial cook at 225 and then pull at 110 internal; crank the temp with the Guru fan and sear until I get to the desired temp.

·
  • ChrisC, Getting ready to put a Prime Rib Roast on at 4pm today and like the idea of just searing the ends. I was thinking of searing the ends on the cast iron grill on the gas range, then putting the roast on the v-rack in the BGE at 325 Degrees. Sound OK?
    Mike

·
  • ChrisCChrisC Posts: 107
    EagerEgger,[p]Sorry Mike - I was not clear enough - I don't sear the ends of the roast I sear at the end of the cook. I just out a small 3 bone roast on at 3:45.[p]Check out Thirdeyes - Playing with Fire and Smoke website - he explains what I was trying to say MUCH better.[p]Good Luck!!![p]-Chris
    ·
  • Jwirlwind,
    Got one on now. First time i've tried the reverse sear on prime rib but it's been good on other stuff. Not much of a fat cap on this one.[p]Steve[p]100_0391.jpg
    100_0390.jpg[p]

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Alton actually blew the "seals in the juices" thing away on his myth buster episode. Searing is all about flavor enhancement and has nothing to do with liquid in the meat.
    ·
  • Jwirlwind,
    I think I will go with the sear first. Reason, While the meat is resting, I want to add the rubb made of garlic and horserasish. Garlic will tend to burn under the sear, so I guess I will go with sear first. Thanks for all the comments. [p]MC Jerry

·