Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Contemplating purchase

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been considering purchasing a BGE for over a year now. I currently own both Weber gas and charcoal grills, as well as a low-end smoker. I grill at least twice a week. [p]Unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally who has a BGE, so I can't see / tast the results first-hand.[p]If it's as good as the corporate website makes it sound, it's a no brainer. I would appreciate some reassurance that it will replace all of my other grills, provide better results and last me for at least 5-10 years. Any comments / advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    WI Griller,[p]It will replace your other grills. It cooks better than the corporate site represents. The food tastes better than you can imagine. It will last much longer than 5-10 years. Many of us have more than one BGE. Many have more than 3.[p]You will get many concurring opinions, but you are here asking the choir to testify.
  • WI Griller,
    Fidel is absolutely correct. The Big Green Egg is a great cooker and frequently replaces all other cookers a person has managed to accumulate. [p]The Big Green Egg story doesn't just stop with purchasing one. You get to take advantage of a lot of experience of your fellow Eggheads. All you have to do is ask a question and someone (probably many) will answer. But if you have been reading this Forum for any time at all, you already know that.[p]It sounds like you have already accumulated a few grilling and smoking skills so you will probably catch on quickly. Go for it. It will be one decision you will never regret.[p]Spring "Nine Year Egghead" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA[p]

• WI Griller,[p]Dump the Weber Gas Grill. Get the BGE. If you have a blow torch it starts just as fast as a gas grill. Taste and moisture of the BGE is completely different from Gas or even Charcoal grills. I guess the ceramic retains the moisture and since you are using only natural lump charcoal, the flavor is outstanding. [p]You can keep your weber charcoal grill as a back up to cook hot dogs on.[p]Probably will not need your low end smoker anymore either.[p]If you have any doubts keep in mind there are no web sites (and forums) devoted solely to gas grills!! There is a reason for that.
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    WI Griller, Where do you live? In Wisconsin by chance? I'm just north of Madison. I'd be happy to smoke/grill something for you. [p]Beers,[p]BeerMike
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    WI Griller,
    be re assured, i own two and will get a third this year.
    i have a $3000 stove with convection oven that has cooked exactly 1 chicken , some cookies and a lasagne or two in the last 2 years. everythig else goes in the egg, even in winter.

• WI Griller,[p]I am a misplaced Wisconsonite. Migrated with my job from the Madison area to Atlanta 3 years ago. I used to grill with my Weber gas and Kettle grill all year long in Middleton.[p]I discovered the BGE about 6 months after we moved here. This is BGE country. I now have a large and a small. My weber kettle holds the tools for the BGE and my weber gas is used for coffee roasting only.[p]I was concerned about the cost of the BGE before I bought my large. It is hard to tell you how much value there is in this product and the unbelievable taste of the food cooked on the BGE. It will do low and slow pork, ribs high temperature steak searing and everything in between. You can use it to bake and even cook pizzas, one of our favorites.[p]Email me off line if you would like to explore other uses. I willnever go back to a weber kettle or the gasser.[p]You will never buy another grill or get more value for your purchase.[p]Gary
  • WI Griller,
    Cooked on gas, charcoal and webner's for years until I discovered the BGE thru this forum.
    Started with a med. Next was mini for the 2 of us dinners, than large for "occasions".
    My gasser now is a standby keeper / holder to keep things cooked on the BGE warm.
    Just west of Chicago here and no worrys about the weather with the BGE I cook on it year round.
    Everything tastes better on the egg!!

• WI Griller, it replaced my other grills, as far as results, everyone now loves my bbq, before it was just ok to good. As for lasting 5-10 years, if I remember correctly, there are many on this forum who have had their eggs for much longer than that. The egg is the only product I have ever owned that lives up to the hype. I love to cook year round, and really cold temperatures mess up metal cookers, the egg just laughs at the cold.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    WI Griller,
    An Egg will last you much longer than 5-10 years. You might have to replace a metal part or two somewhere along the line my old metal bottom vent rusted and I upgraded to stainless. I've got one large I bought in 1998. A small I got in 2005 and a second large I bought this year.[p]Eggs are that good and you will find out why we love them so. Not only is the cooker absolutely fantastic this is a great group to learn from and come to a fest and you'll see that we are a great group to know as well.[p]H

• Reb
    Reb Posts: 74
    WI Griller,
    I was in your same shoes. Buying a Lg BGE was one of the best decisions I ever made. U will not regret it.

• WI Griller,
    The only regret I have about buying my large egg was not doing it sooner. By far the best grill I've ever used. It will outlast numerous gas grills.

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    WI Griller,[p]You'll be just fine with the BGE. Please check out my profile to see what I replaced (your setup sounds vaguely familiar...) Not present in the picture was the New Braunfels smoker I sold to make room for the LBGE.[p]If you're used to having lots of cooking area from the Webers, I'd recommend the XL. However, I believe that there are more accessories available for the Large. I'm planning on adding an XL following the Texas Eggfest next spring. I really miss having a lot of grill space.[p]Another thing I would recommend is to start putting together a list of things you'll need for your BGE, as well as the location of the dealers in your area who will have lump available for you year-round.[p]I added mine to the stable in October, and have not done a single cook on either of my Webers.[p]Hope this helps,[p]-Mike[p]
  • WI Griller,[p]I have gone through the last 10 years of trying to find a good bbq and smoker. Many purchases of various types from charcoal to those nice gassers.[p]By a fluke someone told my daughter about the BGE. The message I got was a food consultant for her work was talking to her about a cooker that was green and looked line an egg. The consultant said there was a forum and those people were fanatics (well actully said they were nuts over this thing).[p]It a day googling about a egg / cooker. I tried green egg and There I was reading all these posts about... well you have read them too.[p]Two days later I had a large in my back yard. That was about 3 to 4 months ago now.[p]So to answer your question, the simple answer well simple 3 answers to your question is.[p]1. I now have two eggs - picked up a medium a couple of weeks ago.
    2. We have used the stove and or oven 7 times since the large. To be fair here we have used the microwave but that is heating up the egg leftovers.
    3. 17° outside last night and we have some chicken[p]Well there is a #4... Haven't wanted to go out to a resturant or burger joint since the large.

• WI Griller, I've had a large for 3 years, just bought my 2nd large last wekend. It's 2:30 a.m. Phx. time, we egged two 10 lb hams in one and and a 16 lb prime rib in the other. If you were to ask any of the party-goers about the food. The reviews are fantastic. I"ll take the word of others, but if my wife and father are saying, wow, good job, then it's a no brainer. Get the Egg. Merry Christmas, Brett

• Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    WI Griller,Without a doubt buying the BGE was the best money I didn't have that I ever spent. My one mistake was getting the medium and that is only because I want more rill space. I will be correcting that sometime next year when I get a large to go with it. I had always used a standard charcoal or gas and never used a smoker. Now I use the BGE exclusively. The gasser is now my storage cabinet. The charcoal only is used for tailgating, for now. I use the GE 4-6 times a week in all kinds of weather. I have 3 9# picnic butts going on tonight in a N'oreaster!
    Go for it. You won't regret it.[p]Ed

• WI Griller,
    Treat yourself, you will not regret it! I am a newbee and love my egg. I seared some tuna last night, have two chickens going on now and a ham for this afternoon. It is adictive. I have actualy lost a couple of pounds since the egg came into my life, you will not want to go out to eat anymore!

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    WI Griller,
    well it seems that a picture is worth a thousand words so..........[p]eggin003.jpg[p]DSCN0315.jpg[p]DSCN0336.jpg[p]DSCN0266.jpg[p]DSCN03472.jpg[p]DSCN0231.jpg[p]DSCN0083.jpg[p]DSCN0039.jpg[p]101_0390.jpg[p]101_0387.jpg[p]100_0086.jpg[p]hope you make the right decision[p]
    happy hunting
    tb[p]

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• WI Griller,[p]Following BENTE's suggestion. This is some of what I've accomplished in 6 months.[p]Steak010.jpg[p]11-30-07after001.jpg[p]DSC_0011.jpg[p]Pizza003.jpg[p]SpatchcockBrussels.jpg[p]I have not regretted it one bit. I haven't missed my New Brunsfells, WSM, Webber Kettle, Genesis, Smokey Joe, or Brinkman.[p]Mike
  • Mike in Abita,
    nice shots![p]

• WI Griller,
    just do it, mon![p]i assume you are from wisconsin. you need a big green egg if you cook outside all year long.[p]click below for the first 5 months on my medium egg...

[ul][li]five months on a medium egg[/ul]
  • WI Griller,[p]I had my first (terracotta) BGE for 18 years. It replaced my Weber kettle AND a bullet smoker.
    I retired that Egg two summers ago and bought a new ceramic BGE.
    The new one is better.

• Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Holy Smoke! Did that thing ever cool off in the first 6 months? I wish I lived in your neighborhood- that all looks great!
    Al

• WI Griller,
    I bought my egg in 1995. It's the old Kamodo style. Hauled it cross country to LA (the bottom shattered on the way out), moved three times (huge crack running top to bottom), I've cemented it, replaced the firebox and repainted in black. It's better than ever and will be with me until a meteor strikes it from above.

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    WI Griller,[p]Your story sounds so identical to mine....all I can say is BUY IT...you will not regret it. Great product, great support, great group of folks here in the forum. Did I mention how great of a product the BGE is?[p]Geaux Tigers!!!!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    WI Griller,[p]Go for it! My big stainless gasser has been fired up once since April. That's when my wife wanted two drumsticks cooked for the kids and I was late getting home.[p]Otherwise, it's collecting dust and the BGE is used for everything including hot dogs and hamburgers.[p]Merry Christmas,
    Braddog

• Rick's Tropical Delight,
    very impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• WI Griller,[p]Ditto Maxissimo![p]~ B[p]

• East Bay Al,
    kinda scary, ain't it? i think they call it 'ced', compulsive egg disorder[p]i think martha is glad to have the two larges so she can get some rest

• WI Griller,
    My wife surprised me with a large BGE this past spring and I was blown away. Had never heard of them before but had been talking about getting a new grill for the past few years. It's been loads of fun and surpasses the old Weber (which is out back rotting behind the shed) by far. My kids now actually look forward to dinner when I cook on the egg.
    Every one of these followups could probably go on and on but you get the general idea.

• WI Griller,I have a large BGE which is the best grill-smoker I have ever had and I have grilled and smoked all my life. In over 45 years I have had four 960 Charbroil Grills which I wore one out about every 10 years and I had a big smoker made from 24" oil field pipe with an offset smoker box. The BGE is better than any or them because it holds the heat and maintains temp while burning very little charcoal. In addition it keeps the food moist and does not dry it out. If I cooked a steak on the BGE and you cooked one on your grills I could tell you blindfolded which one came off the BGE. Good luck and jump in you will not regret it.