Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nature Boy -- Green Onion Pancakes

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey NatureBoy,[p]I saw on your Yakitori recipe you mentioned : "Last night I also cooked a recipe from the same book "Green Onion and Sesame Pancakes". Oooooooo boy those we good."[p]Is that sort of like a thin bread (like a naan bread) with some green onions inside? If so, would you be so kind as to post that recipe or link to it ?[p]Been looking for that for awhile![p]Thanks!
James

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Jamesw,
    It is not at all like naan bread. Sort of a flat, slightly heavy, oily fried pancake. Very tasty..but doesn't sound like what you have in mind.[p]The recipe is kinda long (for my typing abilities)..and I don't have a digial version of it. The book is a winner though. I recommend it.[p]have you tried bd's naan recipe?? Seems like green onions and sesame seeds could easily be incorporated.
    cheers
    NB

[ul][li]BDavidson's righteus naan bread.[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]Hey NB,[p]Actually that is exactly what I was looking for (Chinese, Onion-and-Oil pancakes). I only mentioned the Naan because it was a flat bread, sometimes a little oily (From butter or milk) :).[p]Looks like I will have to go pick up a copy of this book![p]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Jamesw,[p]Green Onion and Sesame Pancakes.
    From "The Asian Grill" by Barich and Ingalls.
    2 cups unbleached AP flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 cup boiling water
    2 TBS sesame seeds (I will double next time)
    1/4 cup minced grren onions (Will also try a bit nore next time)
    2 TBS peanut oil, plus more for frying
    1 TBS sesame oil
    2 tsp chili oil[p]In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt with a fork. Gradually stir in the boiling water to form a dough, then stir in the sesame seeds and green oinion. Let cool. Ona lightly floured board, knead for 5 to 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding flour 1 teaspoonful at a time as necessary to keep dough from sticking. Cover with a damp towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
    Cut the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a circle about 1/4 inch thick. In a small bowl, combine the peanut, sesame and chili oils. Brush each round with the oil, then roll up each like a jelly roll. Form each roll into a coil, flatten and roll into a 1/4 inch thick circle. Heat a medium, heavy skillet (I used my cast iron) over medium high heat and pour in 2 tsp peanut oil. Add pancake and cook about 3 minutes on each side, shaking the pan as you cook, and adding 1 tsp of oil if necessary. Stack on plate in an oven on very low heat, and repeat until all pancakes are cooked. Cut the pancakes into wedges and serve at once.[p]Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Hey Nature Boy,[p]That's awesome! Thanks for taking the effort to post it :) Will try this one out the next chance I get.[p]James