Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza progressively darker on the bottom

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]Just tried the Pizza recipe for the first time, it was some great stuff![p]I had the BGE Plate Setter there, with the Pizza stone on top. I set the egg up at 550degrees, and slid the first pizza on. After 8 minutes, pulled it out and it turned out great.[p]The second pizza after 8 minutes had a darker bottom.[p]The third I took out at 8 minutes had a slightly burnt bottom.[p]The fourth I took out at 7 minutes, the bottom was also very dark.[p]Obviousy, the Pizza stone is heating up after the first pizza too much. What can I do to prevent the bottoms of the Pizza from burning after the first one?[p]I did notice the Dome temp kept creeping up progressively after each pizza (I had to keep closing my slide vent more and more to maintain 550.)[p]Any Ideas to keep the results for the second/third/fourth pizza the same as the first? Get another pizza stone and alternate???[p]Thanks,
James

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Jamesw,[p]Since you mentioned that you would consider getting another stone, one option that you have is to place two stones on top of the plate setter. Crank up the Egg to a dome temp between 610°F and 630°F. Get the dome temp stable for 30 to 45 minutes (or longer) and then start baking your pizzas. You'll find that your first may bake in 10 to 15 minutes, then your second and beyond will bake in less time. Most likely the minimum bake time will be 7 to 8 minutes and the dome temp will head south to 550°F and 575°F as you progress through the pizzas. Also, rotate the pizza on the stone during the bake. This will bake the crust evenly, avoiding (or spreading out the risk) of burning a portion of the crust and/or toppings.[p]Good luck,
    Puj

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Puj,
    I second the recommendation to rotate your pizza during the cook. My first one was over cooked on the backside and just right on the front. My second pizza a few days later was perfect. Like everything, its a learning process. I haven't cooked multiple pizza's yet but I would think a second pizza stone would have to be brought up to temperature before putting the pizza on it. Maybe by taking the pizza stone off the Egg for a couple of minutes it would cool down enough not to burn the bottom on your second pizza before the toppings are done.

• AndyR
    AndyR Posts: 130
    Options
    Jamesw,
    I've had the same problem. I've not tried this yet but thought that if I take the stone and the pizza in the house between pizza's it might allow the stone to cool enough not to burn the next pie.[p]Or, if I had a second peel I would be able to slide on the next pie immediately after I take off the first pie. As it is now there's about a 5-10 minute period between the time I take off a pizza and put the next one on because I have to build the pie on the peel. [p]Let us know what solution works for you.

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Puj, Another thought, if you stone gets hotter as you go, shorten the cooking time of the next and so on.[p]marv

[ul][li][url=http://http:www.marvsbbq.com]Marv's Marvlus Pit Bar-B-Q[/url][/ul]
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Jamesw,[p]I think you are on the right track with vent settings. When you open the dome to add/remove a pizza, a rush of air is going to go in there and encourage the fire to get bigger. With each pizza, and each opening (or 2), the fire is going to get bigger and bigger.[p]The trick is to clamp down those vents more, after the first pizza, to keep the dome opening caused flare up under control. I'd be looking to slide that bottom vent closed considerably after the first pizza, to maintain a 550 temp, posssibly as much as 1/2 way.[p]Of course, be careful with flashbacks![p]--sdb
  • Thanks All,[p]Good ideas to try. I also might give Gretls "Pizza Cheat" a shot. It looks like it may help out some![p]Also, I wonder if adding more firebricks under the plate setter might help. I'll also try that one. So many ideas, I'll have to make pizza quite a few more times before getting it down.[p]James
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    AndyR,
    Try my method of cheating by starting the pizza in a stone-size pan for a few minutes, and finish off on the stone.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Jamesw,[p]You are on the right track. Consider this; since your Egg was getting hotter as the cooks progressed, it wasn't fully heated prior to the first cook. Reduce your cooking time to avoid burning the bottoms and raise your cooking temperature to have the toppings finish in the shorter time.[p]I have done as many as 13 12" pies in a row using the posted recipe. Each was cooked for 5-6 minutes using a dome temperature of 600-625°F.[p]Congratulations.[p]Spin