Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

large green egg vs. xl green egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My closest Green Egg dealer told me the XL doesn't perform as well as the Large version. I would like the larger cooking space. Is his
take on this correct?

Comments

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    jcmdej,[p]No, the XL can do equally well and more of it. The L i smore popular and has more accessories, it's just smaller.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    jcmdej,
    No he lied. Well maybe not lied, but definetly not informed. I can do everything on my XL that can be done on a LGE. [p]Like Steaks[p]Steak014.jpg[p]Or chicken[p]SpatchcockBrussels.jpg[p]Or Ribs[p]DSC_0011.jpg[p]Even Pizza[p]11-30-07after001.jpg[p]Happy Eggin[p]Mike

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    jcmdej,[p]Without prejudice, since I don't have an XL (only a large and a medium)[p]It uses more lump charcoal.[p]Some complain about the profile - that the dome lid seems lower than the large but that perception may be that the same height is spread over a larger diameter.[p]It certainly can cook more stuff simultaneously.[p]Fewer accessories. And using a platesetter requires also using a modified firering. [p]But the results are still spectacular![p]
  • Mike in Abita,
    Thanks for the input.
    He said it took more time to get hot and was harder to control the temperature while cooking.

• Smokin' Blues
    Options
    jcmdej,[p]I use a platesetter just like everyone else in my xl. The xl doesn't require a special modified firering to use a platesetter. I think they just made this available as an option. I've smoked salmon, pork shoulders, briskets, ribs, standing rib roasts, pork loins, chops, turkeys, chickens. You get the jist. I would agree it will hold more lump, but I use every bit except what falls through the holes. You can't go wrong w/any of the eggs, I do like the option of smoking 7 racks of ribs during get togethers w/ all the family. Have fun with your egg!
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    jcmdej,
    The maintaining temps is a non-issue. I've maintained 250 F for 24 hours with nothing more than this Whizzeroo BBQ Guru. As far as gettting to temps quicker with a large he might have a point. I don't feel it is an issue as I prefer the larger cooking area of the XL.[p]Mike

• mb168
    Options
    jcmdej,[p]This may be his inability to get a fire going quickly. I own both a L and XL and there is NO DIFFERENCE in time to get it to temp and, while I have no scientific proof, I feel that it's actually easier to maintain temps on the XL, less fiddling with the vents. The first time I used the XL I posted on here that it almost made bbq'in boring. As for the people that tell you it uses more lump, well duh, but it's not like its double. But if you're cooking a lot of stuff, how much extra lump would it take you to do in multiple bathches on a large? I don't see this as a down side. I bought a Jeep Commander for one mission in my family and a Honda Element for another purpose, one gets 17-18mpg, the other 28-30, but there are times when I need the Jeep, times when I need the Honda, mileage doesn't enter into the equation if I'm going on a trip with 7 people pulling a 5000lb trailer.[p]If you are actually going to use the space, the XL is the only way to go. Motor builders have a saying, "there's no replacement for cubic inches."
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    mb168,[p]the saying is "there's no replacement for displacement"[p]also knowns a cubic horsepower. Sorry, I'm a motorhead.[p]
    And 'cueing is NEVER boring.

• mb168
    Options
    Fidel,[p]Yeah thats the rhyming version, but I figured it was easier to relate cubic inches and square inches, besides, down here in S Ga some people can't even spell displacement ya know LOL.[p]No what I meant was, with past cooks I did on a bullet type smoker, and all the feeding of the fire, shading it from the wind in February with a big piece of sheet metal, etc, constantly adjusting the vents, it was a PITA. The first day I cooked ribs on the XL egg, I got it up to 250 put the ribs on and the wife and I pulled out chairs, table, beer, snacks, etc, and sat outside, this was Labor Day in S Ga. So after about 30 min of sweating and swatting gnats and the temp still at 250 we came in to the AC. 30 min later went back outside and it was at 250, 30 min later still 250, of course you know it stayed at 250 the whole time, no whizzeroo Q guru needed. It was "booring bbq'in" because you basically don't do anything. That's why it was so tempting to lift the lid. At least using CW Mike's rib method you have an excuse to pop the lid hourly for a spritz.
  • mb168,
    I visited with the dealer again this morning and he said another disadvantage with the XL is hot and cold spots while grilling steak or hamburgers using direct heat. What about it?

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    jcmdej,
    I light my xl in three places with MAPP gas and it cooks just like my large.Hope this helps.
    Larry

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    jcmdej,[p]Ask him why he doesn't want to sell you the XL.[p]Then find another dealer. [p]Sheesh! Why wouldn't a dealer sell you what you want? [p]Call the Mother Ship and ask why this dealer is bad-mouthing one of their products.

• YB,
    Thanks for all the input. He appears to truly believe the XL is not as good as the large but he will sell me one. Sounds like I need to base my decision on how big a grill-smoker I need.[p]

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    jcmdej,[p]It sounds like he has never used one, doesn't it?[p]Maybe his profit margin is greater on the large?[p]
  • mb168
    Options
    jcmdej,[p]I agree with this one. If you don't know what you're doing and light a fire on say the back side of the egg, yes, you'll have a hot spot there until it spreads across the egg. The distance is far enough from one side to the other that this could take a while. Knowing this however, I usually light mine right in the middle with a good mound of lump and then spread the coals around to get good coverage, or if I'm using a chimney I dump them all over and spread them to cover most of the firebox, especially in the center. I typically like to have it a little hotter in the middle anyway than at the edges because no 2 pieces of meat cook at the same rate and you can move the thinner/smaller pieces to the edges and keep the larger cuts in the middle "hot spot." When we make burgers for instance we always pat out smaller ones for the kids, they go around the edges so they aren't hockey pucks when the rest are done and I don't believe I've ever had a 4 pack of chicken or chops where they were all the same size. [p]I agree with these guys, I'd question why he doesn't want to sell you the XL and/or his ability to use it.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    jcmdej,
    Sometimes I will cook on 3 or 4 eggs at one time but if I'm cooking things using the same temp the XL is nice and saves lump by not using so many eggs..
    Larry[p]97a6.jpg
    6538.jpg

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    bob,
    I don't know his motivation. I think he has never cooked on an XL. I have never experienced the things he mentioned.[p]Mike

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    mb168,
    Well put.[p]Mike

• jcmdej,[p]I have an XL and love it. It was the right call for me based on all the planned and unplanned guest we have over. I must admit that I chuckle to myself when I see the comments about extra lump. Even if it's true...if you are going to drop "a grand" on an egg when it's all said and done......what a few extra pieces of lump!! Having said that...it's worth every penny. XL or LG...you can't go wrong. Enjoy!!
  • Charcoal Mike
    Options
    jcmdej,
    Send me an email if you like. It's in profile.[p]- Mike