Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Down and dirty turkey cook.

edited 4:26PM in EggHead Forum
<p />Well my parents have been bugging us to cook them on the Egg for some time so I'm doing it today. This is not a high tech cook starting with the bird. All ready had a 11 lb bird in the freezer. It is one of those Tyson preseasoned in a bag jobs. The wife got it this summer before I got the Egg. Went ahead and rubbed it down with a simple rub of 2 parts salt, 1 part cummin, 1 part peprika and 1 part garlic powder. Put a full load of lump in the Egg and heat to 325 with the plateseater inverted. Put 5 rocks about 2 inches round and 1 inch high on top of the plateseater and then set the alum pan on top of the 5 rocks to create a air space between the plateseater and the pan. Next I put the rubbed 5 more rocks in the bottom of the pan and placed the bird on top of the rocks to keep it out of the drippings in the pan and create more air space. The rocks came out of my driveway. Now you know the "dirty" I did was and scrubed them. Put it on at 11:35. 1st pic. Will update as cook goes on. Also a latest pic of the "Smokeshack and lounge"

• JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    <p />Smoke shack

• JDubJDub Posts: 23
    JLOCKHART29,[p]The Pink Flamingo adds nice touch.....I wonder how that would taste on the egg????
    <p />Bird after 2 1/2 hrs and breast temp of 157 degrees. Smells great!
    JDub, I doubt even tinderizer and the Egg could make the Flamingo tast good. Besides thats my smoke bird. His wings spin in the wind so he stays in my sink drain untill I cook then he gets stuck in the ground when I light the Egg. Going to order me 2 "yard" Flamingos to stick up. Nothing like white trash!!ha

What type therometer are you using on that bird? I am shopping for a new one, do you like it? Turkey looks great!

<p />Hear is the finnished product. 4 hours and 15 min. later. Will eat it tomorrow after church. Cooked till 165 degrees at coolest spot in breast.

It's made by Charmglow. I got it about 3 monthe ago at Home Depot. I use it about 3x a week and so far zero problems. It cost me right at 30 bucks if I remember correct. Will reach from my Egg to kitchen table in my trailer. Has presetable temp alarm.